starting strength gym

Thread: Autoregulation vs. Texas Method

Default Autoregulation vs. Texas Method

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Andy,

Do you have a preference for what type of intermediate programming to do while trying to lose weight? I had a number of people recommend some kind of auto regulatory program, but I wondered if you had seen many people try that program versus a more traditional intermediate program, like TM. I already tried the light squat Wednesday for a while, but all my squat sets were getting to be a grind and form was breaking down. If it matters, my info is as follows:

Height: 5' 7"
    Body Fat: somewhere around 20%
    Squat: 240
    Deadlift: 245
    Press: 115
    Bench: 165

I know I have more newbie gains available if I would eat for it, but I've been fat for so long I know I won't be satisfied until I finish losing weight. That's where I've gotten on LP at 2000 cals a day over 2 months and I'd like to stay around that level of eating (or I could cycle for the volume day or something).

Thanks for your help!

You can't do SS and be on a diet at the same time. The caloric surplus/weight gain is part of the program. You can lose weight and stay strong (I have done it) but your diet and your training have to be VERY locked in, and the weight loss can't be overly aggressive.

I had to hire outside professional help for the dietary portion of my training back in 2010 when I was training for NASA Grand Nationals. I started at 230 lbs and dieted down to 192, weighed in at 196, and stepped on the platform at 208, and set 3 all time PRs. I ate 42 meals per week for 16 weeks and only one a week was a cheat meal. The rest were chicken/rice, whey/oats, and a little fruit. Monday was volume squat day, so Sunday night was my cheat meal. Usually burgers and fries

as far as diet goes i have no clue like every coach in the world has a different philosophy some say you can eat a shit diet and just train through it some try to count every calorie and mineral to the last micro spec

Alot of that depends on genetics. Some guys can get away with burgers and fries all the time and rarely get fat. For the rest of us, forcing our bodies to do difficult things, like building strength and losing fat at the same time, require more significant attention to our nutrition.