starting strength gym

Thread: Modified Bench/Press LP

Default Modified Bench/Press LP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I was thinking about various permutations for my pressing, and came up with an idea for something that seems like it might be a generally applicable modification:

At the appropriate time (i.e., at the end of normal LP on bench or press), switching press days to be one set of five with press starts (I think I normally do three sets of three), while keeping bench days three sets of five.

In my particular case, I was thinking about various ways to reduce volume on the triceps, because if triceps could have limps wrists and a lisp, mine would. This reduces the volume on the triceps, and makes up for the lower press volume with the press starts.

Thoughts? I'm not asking for advice in my particular case, but wondering what your thought are about this in general. I still do press v.1, so I don't know how this would apply to press v.2. Seems like it wouldn't be quite as applicable. I have only trained a few people, so I don't know what part of the press causes the most issues at the end of LP.

2 things:

Explain Press starts to me. Apologies for my ignorance.

If your triceps are a weak point in the press, why not make them strong? As opposed to avoiding them? Seems to make more sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    2 things:

Explain Press starts to me. Apologies for my ignorance.

If your triceps are a weak point in the press, why not make them strong? As opposed to avoiding them? Seems to make more sense to me.
    Press starts are described by Bill Starr in his pressing article. You put on more weight than you can press and press it as high as you can and hold it. It's basically an isotonic/isometric movement.

I'm not saying not to make the triceps strong, I'm suggesting that perhaps cutting triceps volume might be a way to continue LP for a bit longer. In my particular case, when I get near the end of LP, my triceps can't handle heavy pressing three times a week. And, instead of switching to a weekly progression, ala Texas Method, the reduction in volume may allow further progress to be made more quickly than going straight to intermediate programming.

This is one of those cases where I'd just have to say "try it and see." I have never used the starts before so I have no idea how they impact the overall program.