starting strength gym

Thread: A week of in periodized model??

Default A week of in periodized model??

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So happy I found this board! Refreshing to find a small group of enlightened people.

My question is regarding an intermediate model presented in PPFST. If training for hypertrophy along with strength, it suggested that Monday be a higher rep/controlled rest day, Wednesday is still to be implemented as light (80% of Monday on squats and much lower volume), and Friday be going for a new strength goal. This makes sense to me in terms of the squat, which is lifted all three days, but what I have trouble with is the alternating press/BP in this model. It seems I am taking a whole week off from benching, benching only on Wednesday the "light" day while my press gets a hypertrophic response and strength response all to itself, then the following week it is just the opposite! Is there some way to assure my bench or press get stimulated other than one "light" workout during the week? I have a hard time justifying to myself it's ok to focus only on one or the other every other week.

How would you rather do it?

That's my question! I understand the value and critical importance of the light day, but would a slightly higher volume for chest (or the press, whatever week it may be) be advisable so that those muscles aren't just being rested all week? Or does it interfere too much with Friday's strength stimulus? Have you experimented with these before? What would be an advisable 4 day split with the same type of periodization?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarcissist View Post
    So happy I found this board! Refreshing to find a small group of enlightened people.

My question is regarding an intermediate model presented in PPFST. If training for hypertrophy along with strength, it suggested that Monday be a higher rep/controlled rest day, Wednesday is still to be implemented as light (80% of Monday on squats and much lower volume), and Friday be going for a new strength goal. This makes sense to me in terms of the squat, which is lifted all three days, but what I have trouble with is the alternating press/BP in this model. It seems I am taking a whole week off from benching, benching only on Wednesday the "light" day while my press gets a hypertrophic response and strength response all to itself, then the following week it is just the opposite! Is there some way to assure my bench or press get stimulated other than one "light" workout during the week? I have a hard time justifying to myself it's ok to focus only on one or the other every other week.
    There's a specific outline for an intermediate strength/hypertrophy routine in Practical Programming? I've been reading the intermediate section and didn't see anything specifically address that...but that's exactly what I'm looking for. What page(s)?

I lent my book out so I don't have the page handy, but its between the Texas and Starr methods I believe, where he states that an athlete concerned about putting on size can take Monday and do 5 x 10 either sets across or to failure with controlled rest, but always with the goal that Friday is a new strength landmark. Monday should ENHANCE the strength stimulus, not be so taxing that it gets in the way of it. The split doesn't change form, only the rep scheme.

OP, have you been reading the 2nd edition?

Correct. If you wanted to do it as a split, you would drop the light day and split the volume bro day/heavy day.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Correct. If you wanted to do it as a split, you would drop the light day and split the volume bro day/heavy day.
    So what would the second vol day look like, without squats I'm assuming? And would the second vol day still be Wed Or is that too close to do without interference?

It could look like this:

M- volume bench, + assistance
    T- volume squat, + assistance
    Th- intensity bench, ohp, +assistance
    F- intensity squat, dl

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    It could look like this:

M- volume bench, + assistance
    T- volume squat, + assistance
    Th- intensity bench, ohp, +assistance
    F- intensity squat, dl
    I like it! Thank you! BTW, like an excited kid, I'm telling everyone I know Mark Rippetoe personally acknowledged me. So far the response is "cool. Who?" But to ME it's pretty damn cool. Thanks for everyone who posted on the thread!