starting strength gym

Thread: Bench first, squat second?

Default Bench first, squat second?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I know I can experiment with this on my own, just wanted to bounce the ideas off you.

I'm a bit stuck on bench, and I think part of the problem may be that I squat first. The squat stretches my chest and shoulders so much that I wonder if it's reducing power output when I get around to benching. Kind of like the forbidden static stretching during a warmup might do. I also think that the squat is so rough on my wrists that it becomes harder to hold the bar during bench.

Do you think that this is a reasonable hypothesis? Or at least worth trying out? My squat is progressing really well, so I think I could still do ok at it even if it were the second exercise.

Wait - tell us more about how the squat is tough on your wrists. The typical SS form has no stress on the wrists. You can depart from that form if you want, but I'd consider looking into that first. And what levels of squat and bench are we talking about? At a certain point, yes, the squat can be rough on the shoulders, so much so that it interferes with the bench. Also, do you work on shoulder mobility at all outside of your workouts? Those are things I'd look into first.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1 View Post
    I know I can experiment with this on my own, just wanted to bounce the ideas off you.

I'm a bit stuck on bench, and I think part of the problem may be that I squat first. The squat stretches my chest and shoulders so much that I wonder if it's reducing power output when I get around to benching. Kind of like the forbidden static stretching during a warmup might do. I also think that the squat is so rough on my wrists that it becomes harder to hold the bar during bench.

Do you think that this is a reasonable hypothesis? Or at least worth trying out? My squat is progressing really well, so I think I could still do ok at it even if it were the second exercise.
    Exercise Sequence

Part of the problem is the squat is sucking the life out of your bench press. You have more strength and energy for the first exercise in a training program.

The second exercise strength and energy will drop. You will find a drop in strength and energy the further you progress...third, fourth, etc exercises.

Take Home Message

For any exercise you want to improve on, make it the first one in your training sequence.

Kenny Croxdale

Yep, Kenny is right. This is why classic powerlifting splits are pretty popular. It is hard to work all the lifts on the same day, especially as you start to advance. If a split isn't an option, then I would just flip squat and bench. Some people here do that, and they say that the benching first really doesn't effect the squat all that much. But when you flip it around, squatting can really sap your bench strength.

Definitely bench first.

As long as your squat progresses as well, there is no reason not to try and bench first to see if it helps you get unstuck. Be aware though that the squat used to warm and amp you up very well before the upperbody lifts and that you now might have to invest some more time into warming up before your session and get ready for that PR. You also might need a longer break after squats so as to not impede progress in deadlifts and powercleans.

Agree with all the above. I don't think the squat is making your bench tougher because of your shoulders as much as it is just because Squats are fucking tiring and you have less energy to bench. Switch it up and see what happens.

Yeah if I gotta do both in the same day I'd do the upper body lift first then the lower.

I spent a long time doing both. Sometimes it felt like benching first helped warm up, on days that felt shitty it didn't. What that Stroup doodle said

starting strength coach development program
    I always bench or press first.