starting strength gym

Thread: Anterior Hip Flexor pain - Can't squat

Default Anterior Hip Flexor pain - Can't squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

I've recently been the subject of a debilitating pain in my anterior hip flexors. Last week I squatted four sets of five at 295lb, I completed the squats with no issues. On Friday I attempted a 370lb squat, I've done 375x1x3 previously so this should've been easy. I could only manage one rep. I regained my composure and did another exhausting, limit rep. Looking back, I should've stopped.

Since then I haven't been able to squat. At first, while standing, I couldn't lift my knees up to my chest without shooting pain at the anterior hip flexors. I rested for a week, and with a lot of stretching and ball/foam rolling the issue is beginning to resolve except when I do hit parallel on a barless body weight squat I feel a shooting, sudden pain from my anterior hip flexors.

I've now added NSAID (Ibuprofen) to the mobility work. What should I do to maintain my strength while I wait for this injury to heal? Any other advice? I've been thinking of deadlifting 80-85% (of my 5RM) for two to three sets on monday and to keep pulling a heavy triple on Friday.

Thanks, Andy.

Deadlift protocol probably will work fine.

You have severe tendonitis built up in your hip flexors. Only cure is rest and LOTS of ibuprofen. Try like 3200mg/day for 4-5 days then taper off. 4 doses of 800mg per day. With food.

I've had this same condition.........your knees are coming forward at the bottom of your squat.......re-read TUBOW part in SS.