starting strength gym

Thread: Yorky Porky's log of trying to get a bit stronger

Default Yorky Porky's log of trying to get a bit stronger

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Well here is my new log. Benn back training for a short while now (2-3 months), after a lot of on again off again training over the last few years, mainly caused by having travel for work, and also general apathy.

So I've finally decided that I need to get back to the gym and start lifting some weights. My legs have always been relatively strong, but my upper body relatively week. I've been doing a basic 5x5 routine for the last 2 months and made some decent progress.

So now for the details, as of today:
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 96kg (211lbs)

Squat (5x5) 122.5kg
    Bench (5x5) 65kg
    Bent over row (5x5) 57.5kg
    Deadlift (3x1) 180kg
    Military press (5x5) 42.5kg

Short term goal is to get to 140kg squat, and eventually 100kg bench (long way to go there I know), and lose some fat, there's enough of it. I'm going to be moving gyms in April, to a 'proper' gym, so hope to get some extra help there, but mainly I hope I won't have to wait to use the 1 squat rack ;-) Long term goal is 180kg squat, 220kg deadlift, 60kg Press, and as heavy a bench as I can manage :-)

As and when, I'll try and post some pics/video, but this may be a while coming. This log is really so I can track what I'm doing, but any comments on are more than welcome, in fact encouraged, to keep me motivated, when things get tough :-). Oh and in case anyone was wondering, I'm in London, UK.

Thanks for looking.

Yorky

a bit late but here's Friday's session:

Squat 5x5 125kg
    Press 5x5 (I know I lost form last it a bit on the last set) 45kg
    Deadlift 3x1 180kg.
    Hammer curls (jut to really mess with my forearms and grip) 18kg 3 x to failure
    Dips (I really do need stronger triceps) 2 x failure (which was 12 and 6, so getting better)

Squats felt better than they did on Wednesdays session. Used a belt for the last 2 sets, just as a bit of reassurance. Daadlifts were ok, but I have a feeling I'm going to have to drop the weight and do some speed deadlifts at about 140kg, and some more sets in the 160kg area, as I don't think keeping on with singles will help me improve (no way I ca do doubles or triples t 180kg, but grip would fail if nothing else). Using fat gripz on the warm up sets really is helping my grip though.

So tonight's session:

Bench 5x5 67.5kg
    Squat 5x5 127.5kg
    Row 5x5 60kg using the fat gripz for warm up and the first 2 work sets really seems to having a positive effect.
    Sldl 3x10 60kg thought I'd better do some secondary exercises for hamstrings. Didn't go heavy, but could definitely feel something
    Dips 2 sets to failure 11 and 6, not too bad as I always find them harder on a bench day.

So still making improvements, squats felt ok today, bench felt heavy, but managed it ok, but things are going to get sticky soon, I can tell

Going to be a 'fun' session tonight. Went out running last night, did quite well, 3.5 miles in 25 mins but I can definitely feel it in my legs today, after the squats and SLDL on Monday :-)

Well fun session it was:

Squat: 5x5130kg
    Press (oh my god it was heavy): 1x5, 1x4, 3x3 47.5kg
    Deadlift:5x5 140kg
    Shrugs 3x10 90kg
    Curls to failure
    Dips 1x13, 1x7 (failure on both sets)

So yet again my press starts to stall, I have always had problems with this, and yet again look to be stalling, seriously thinking that I'm going to have to do some secondary exercises (lat raises, upright rows etc) to supplement the press, if anyone reads this and wants t advise then I am really looking for some help here.

Dropped the deadlift weight and did these as fast I I could, maybe not actual speed DLs, but as close as I could get. My hands seemed to be really suffering, need to get the callouses built up.

I added the shrugs as I wanted to his the traps as the DLs were no really heavy, seemed ok, so may keep them as a secondary exercise.

Very please with the dips, nearly did 14 on the first set, it wasn't that long ago I could only do 5.

starting strength coach development program
    Not a bad trainign session last night, particularly as when I got to the gym, I felt like it was going to be ahrd.

Bench 70kg 4x5 1x4 Just couldn't get the last one of the last set up, very frustrating
    Squat: 132.5 5x5 amazingly good. Felt my stomach muscles during the warm up so decided to use the belt for all sets just to make sure I didn't have any problems.
    BB row 62.5 5x5 felt very easy!
    DB curls to 2 x failure
    Dips 1x12, 1x6 both failure, but or a bench night, not to bad, maybe it's starting to pay off

Week off now as I'm going to be in a hotel all week (no gym :-( ), so I'll have to try and do press-up, situps etc. When I get back, I'll be looking forward to finally doign a 3 plate squat again