starting strength gym

Thread: Jes-I's SS log (lbs)

Default Jes-I's SS log (lbs)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is a log I'm making for my brother. Classic Ectomorph. Has trouble scheduling recovery, often lifts on less than 6-7 hours of sleep. Has trouble eating enough protein (hard to convince him to supplement). Being a total ectomorph, he requires more recovery time during his first month or two. We tried with the standard 3/week schedule but it left him in considerable pain by midweek....bumped him to an every 3 days schedule, for two full days rest between each lifting day. This worked MUCH better, and he's making linear progression, at a decreased pace, but it's coming. Keeping his workouts as short as possible, with a hard cutoff at 45 minutes, regardless of what's not finished (though we've been able to keep his workouts under 40 minutes since a small re-evaluation last week). Posting here because he's finally settled into a good lifting schedule.

I am unable to teach the him clean accurately due to his very thin bone structue: he keeps hitting himself with the bar (normal bounce off the quads) and it bruises him beyond comprehensive recovery...will try to teach him a zero contact version until his quads develop more? I would love some ideas. I already tried to teach him the snatch as a replacement, but that bruised his lower abdomen far worse than the clean bruised his leg. He doesn't seem to have Jaundice or Anemia, and I know he eats a whole lot of iron and magnesium, so I'm guessing that this bruising is simple contusion.

Height: 6'

Beginning of January '12
    Weight: 152
    Bodyfat: 10-12%

Squat: 80 (due to form issues)
    Press: 70
    Bench: 80
    Deadlift: 95
    Chins: 3
    Bent-Over Row: 70
    Power Clean: 0

Beginning of February '12
    Bodyweight: 158
    Bodyfat: 10-12%

Squat: 125 (still working on form issues, hip drive established, knees tracking well, back stays extended, bar is still above shoulder blade bones)
    Press: 80
    Bench: 120
    Deadlift: 145
    Chins: 2
    Bent-Over Row: 80
    Power Clean: 0
    Upright Rows: 55 (added as an assistance to get him closer to cleans, really just to get him comfortable with a bar coming up toward his face, and yes I know and have told him, that this exercise isn't really like cleans, except that it helps you learn bar tracking)

Long layoff (one week) due to a minor injury (from snowboarding, not lifting), so we came back in where we left off. Confidence has been a serious issue for this lifter: he's never felt strong, and he's never weighed more than he currently does. So he didn't want to push new intensity. This was a good return, he felt awesome, pushed all the weights he's already done, and he's looking forward to pushing all new numbers on Saturday.

So here's his Wednesday 2/13/13.

Squat 125
    Press 80
    Deadlift 145
    Chins/Negs: 1st set: 2/3 2nd & 3rd set: 1/4
    Upright Rows 55

Total workout time: 39 minutes

Default 2/21/13

This was a full week after his last session, due to very real and very stressful real world crap. The good news is that he came back well recovered and in high spirits. We went light on the deadlift because he wanted to give learning cleans a shot.

Squat 150 3x5
    Bench Press 125 3x5
    Upright Row ramped 50-55-65 3x5
    Deadlift 150 1x5
    Hang Clean -> Front Squat 45 3x3

Total time 42 mins

Ben, What a good brother you are! At some point when his motivation gets to the right point, you should get him to do his own log. The feedback he gets from others will help him solidify the lifting into a lifestyle which has to be the goal.