starting strength gym

Thread: Low volume training to minimize fatigue?

Lightbulb Low volume training to minimize fatigue?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quick question:

I am a long distance mountain bike racer and the season is quickly approaching so I am riding 10-15 hours a week.

My fiance and I have been going to the gym 3 days per week and I have been doing a program based off Pavel T's Power to the people type program designed to minimize fatigue and increase strength without a large increase in body weight.

Here is what I am doing:

3 sets of 3 squats per SS form
    2 sets of 5 OH presses per BBT3 form
    2 days a week chins to failure

I am well aware I can't "have it all" and do the full SS program and ride at the same time but I love riding and am okay with that. I just want to make the best use of my time at the gym without being crushed too much to ride to work the next day.

Am I on the right track here or should I replace squat w/ DL one day a week or stop doing the chins to failure? Thoughts welcome.

Chins are fine, I don't see them having much impact on your bike training.

I think I would try a linear progression in which you are only working up to a single top set of 5. Basically the SS program without all the sets across.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Chins are fine, I don't see them having much impact on your bike training.

I think I would try a linear progression in which you are only working up to a single top set of 5. Basically the SS program without all the sets across.
    Thanks, Andy...so:
    M: SQ. Warm up sets then 1x5 work set
    Press. Warm up sets then 1x5 work set

W:Same as Monday plus
    DL. Warm up sets then 1x5 work set

F: Same as Monday

I guess I could really leave out chins for now that I am looking at it closer.

That sound correct?

Look, I don't have alot of experience working with bikers, but I would think that you might need to deload the legs a bit, not the upperbody. I'd make as few modifications to the basic program as you can. Maybe PM Steve Hill. He's our resident hybrid biker/lifter. He has a lot more experience than I do on this sort of thing.