starting strength gym

Thread: A novice back off in an intermediate split. Need help PLEASE

Default A novice back off in an intermediate split. Need help PLEASE

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Okay, this is really pretty ridiculous but I'm really not sure how to properly handle this situation. My wife and I are both in a back off in our squats, I'm more perplexed by wife's situation than mine but this could very well work for both of us.

I'll start from the beginning of the situation, we had been following the LP for about ten weeks and we hit the wall in our squats, the first thing we did was try three workouts after missing reps and we were missing more reps each workout so we tried a workout with 2 sets at 80% of our previously completed work sets (this felt light to me and heavy to the missus). At this point we had to make a change in programming due to circumstances in our lifestyle that would allow better compliance, albeit slower gains, which we both agreed was acceptable to us. We just started, on Monday, the split routine in PP (woojus geeshman) and the first squat workout was 90% of our last completed work set for 2x5, it felt a little heavy to me but I fucked up my form in the first set and fixed it in my second and it felt fine, my wife failed to complete one set. My original plan was to do a DE squat on Friday but after reviewing PP's section on back offs I think it may be more prudent for me to see how I feel and possibly go to 3x5 at the the last work outs weight and then for my wife (I really have no clue what to do) maybe just warm up and stop.
    So,
    1) I know I fucked up the back off for both of us originally

2) what is the best course of action to get us back on track, DE on Friday or the back off plan? (or whatever else may work)

3) I am confident in my nutrition supporting my progress and my wife's leaves something to be desired but I'm determined to help her through this regardless.

You probably just need more than a 10% deload on the squat, especially if you guys were burnt out.

I would drop it back even more, but start with bigger jumps in weight progression for the first few weeks. For example, you could use 80% of your 3x5 max weight as a starting point, but make 10lb jumps to start with. As it gets harder, you can move to 5lb jumps, and eventually I would ramp it up to a peak 1RM. Then start over again.

Okay, so you think starting again back at 80% of our 3x5 and making jumps at every workout up until a 1RM? For example, Friday would be 80% 3x5, Monday 80%+10lbs then proceed as you said above? Could you show a quick example of a ramp up to a 1RM I'm guessing its through a few workouts? or just have a ME day?

double post

It would be over a long period of time. Basically right now you have volume/DE. Towards the end of a cycle, I like to make it more intensity/DE. This could be something like 16-20 weeks.

So it would go like this:

First weeks: Start at 80% of 3x5, but make bigger jumps (10lbs or so)
    Next weeks: Continue with this progression, but make 5lb jumps
    Next: As 3x5 starts to peak, move to 3x3, continue with 5lb jumps
    Next: As 3x3 starts to peak, move to 3x2, continue with 5lb jumps
    Last: As the doubles peak, move to 3x1, and eventually just do an all out 1RM day. Then deload and start again.

You would still be doing the DE day the whole time, using the percentages we talked about based on a calculated 1RM.

So there is no exact framework, but this gives you an idea how you can continue to progress throughout a cycle.
    Last edited by Les Hahn; 02-20-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Ohhh I gotcha. That makes perfect sense. Once again you pull through in perfect style. Thank you for dealing with my noob ass :-)
    Last edited by Haggit; 02-20-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Not a problem! I liked the Woojus Geeshman setup, and I think mixing up that volume/intensity day is going to make it really fun.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm excited just thinking about it. I know we talked about reps and such before and some of the reasoning for staying at 3x5 is the ability of my wife to exert a true maximum effort so early in her training career but by the end of a cycle she should have a better sense of what her body can handle.