starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't do low bar squats anymore

Default Can't do low bar squats anymore

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I hate to stop doing low bar squats, but the pain in my arms are becoming unbearable. I have been moving backwards on my numbers due to the pain and my numbers are pretty bad. I gained 10 lbs or so but my squats have decreased to 205 lbs and I stalled on those. I am sure it is a form issue, but regardless, I have to give my arms a chance to heal. Right now, low bar squats are more painful than my rehab from shoulder surgery, including the stretching to gain mobility. I plan on moving to high bar squat in the mean time. I assume I will have to deload to do this. Any advice on how much to deload?

To put it in perspective how much it is affecting me, I was having trouble lifting my arms after my third working set of squats. I couldn't do any bench and was unable to pick up my 26 lb daughter either.

Thanks,

Josh
    Last edited by modenacart; 02-20-2013 at 07:31 PM.

There is no amount of deload that will correct a form issue, so post a form check perhaps?

I have already. http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=37091

I have corrected the dept issue. I think I might be standing too straight, but I would like to find someone I could work with in person. I use to do high bar before and never had pain in my arms.

Two weeks ago my arms hurt so bad by Friday I actually wanted to cry. My bench lost 45lbs and my press dropped 25lbs.

I happened upon this video, made some adjustments last week and now I squat pain free.

The super tight way he demonstrates is exactly how I was doing it. My problem was the bar would want to roll backwards, so I'd tighten up to trap it in place and it would load my arms when I added weight. I've switched to a wider, thumbs around grip. The thumbs around grip lets me keep the bar from rotating while keeping my arms loose keeps me from putting pressure on my wrists or elbows.

I don't see a link to the video.

It's embedded in the post. Here's the link if you can't see it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUTcYA9daoE

Thanks, my phone didn't show the video.

I raised the bar slightly on my back, tighten my back more and bent over a little more. My arms and shoulders felt much better.

Another tip on heavy sets- chalk up badly, use shitloads of chalk on your back, the bar won't move nowhere

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by modenacart View Post
    I hate to stop doing low bar squats, but the pain in my arms are becoming unbearable. I have been moving backwards on my numbers due to the pain and my numbers are pretty bad. I gained 10 lbs or so but my squats have decreased to 205 lbs and I stalled on those. I am sure it is a form issue, but regardless, I have to give my arms a chance to heal. Right now, low bar squats are more painful than my rehab from shoulder surgery, including the stretching to gain mobility. I plan on moving to high bar squat in the mean time. I assume I will have to deload to do this. Any advice on how much to deload?

To put it in perspective how much it is affecting me, I was having trouble lifting my arms after my third working set of squats. I couldn't do any bench and was unable to pick up my 26 lb daughter either.

Thanks,

Josh
    If you do high bar, it's usually around 90% of low bar, but the first couple times you try you should go a bit less to get used to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast