starting strength gym

Thread: Where to put recovery day

Default Where to put recovery day

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just started an upper/lower TM 4 day split. Monday Squat volume, RDLs; Tuesday Bench Volume, Press Intensity; Thursday Squat Intensity, DL intensity; Friday Bench Intensity Press volume.

Id really like to add a squat recovery day in between the Monday and Thursday training. Would it be too soon after volume to put my recovery squats on Tuesday?

I would squat very light on tuesday. You can do other light active recovery shit too.

never occurred to me to maybe do some other sort of recovery work.

If you check out Andy's forum, he talks about this. In the end a recovery day really isn't needed if you take a day off instead. He didn't notice any measurable difference between having one and not having one.

Having done a similar split program without any recovery lifts, I can say that I've noticed a big difference from adding them back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    If you check out Andy's forum, he talks about this. In the end a recovery day really isn't needed if you take a day off instead. He didn't notice any measurable difference between having one and not having one.
    I think his quote was something like "You don't need a recovery day on a TM upper/lower split, but the warming up on intensity day will suck".

With that said, I was doing

Mon-Squat Volume, RDL, Abz
    Tue-Bench Volume, Rows, Chins, LTE's
    Thur-Recovery: Light Squat 2x5, Light Bench 2x5, KB Swings, Abz
    Fri-Squat, Bench, Deadlift Intensity

which seemed to work as long as I took it easy on Thurs. I wasn't pressing at the time, but you could work it in on Tue, or Thur if you stay light.

I don't think the warmups are any different really. I did the classic M,T,Th,F TM split for a while, and I never had any issue warming up. Sometimes I would have have tight hip flexors or nagging minor knee pain, but that had more to do with frequency. When I started squatting 2x per week, but the one day was light paused squats (not nearly as heavy as volume day), it started to get easier. Squatting 1x per week made me feel even that much better.

For the split vs normal TM, I don't think there is any real benefit to having that extra recovery day. That is just my opinion though, so I am sure others will disagree.

I was doing advanced novice before TM so I dont mind squatting twice a week, it's just that I had a ball buster of a workout last week after trying this split for the first time and I definitely felt a bit rusty on thursday going into the intensity squats. Id like to experiment with the recovery day put back in especially since I lost an extra day of recovery from the normal TM (squatting on Friday). Would it be too much to take 65-70% of volume day for my 2 sets on recovery day or would 50% or so be more appropriate?

gtl did you have any problems going from Friday Intensity to Monday Volume on that program? because that might work better than what im doing.

Callador, are you following your 4x4 program? Havent looked into it much but you squat 1xweek?

Thanks for the advice

Correct. I am currently doing the 4x4 program. But in the past, I did a couple versions of a TM split (PPST2) where you squat 2x per week. I never felt rusty or off just squatting on Tuesday and Friday.

starting strength coach development program
    Just wanted to follow up on this thread. Im totally sold on a light recovery day for squats even if you are doing a split squatting a day sooner than on the normal program. I took hamburgers advice and went super light, I did 225 for 2 sets of 5 and my intensity number was 400. When i stepped up to the bar today my legs felt solid. I had no residual soreness or fatigue. It was the most solid I've felt in a while actually. My recovery has been shit this week as well. My sleep has been subpar and this is the 2nd week of my 500/day calorie deficit.