starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microload the squat or something else?

Default Microload the squat or something else?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys.

I have been doing a strength routine for about 20 weeks now, and initially was making decent progress (certainly more than I ever did on any bro slit), but now it seems my squat has stalled, and seems like it isn't going to progress without some sort of change to my program. I recently tried switching to an Advanced Novice type routine, but my squat still will not budge. I am 31, weigh about 190lbs between 24-26% bodyfat (weight was 138 last summer, a skinny fat with no definition), standing at 5'8. My diet is good (as you can see from my 50+ weight gain), eating eggs, whole grains, steak, chicken, milk w/protein on a daily basis. Getting about 200g protein per day. My rest is good, about 7-10 hours of sleep a night depending on my work schedule. My lifts are as follows

Squat: 180
    Bench: 145
    Press: 93
    Dead 230
    Row: 130

Last heavy day (Monday) I did 180 3x5. My form was starting to break down, but I could still complete the reps. Had a light day on Wed using 145, form seemed good, weight wasn't overly challenging. Today (Friday) I attempted 185 but only got 5/3/1, and my form was absolutely terrible. I have deloaded numerous times and am at wits end. Should I deload again and start to microload with 2.5lbs increments? That's 5 pounds a week, 20 pounds a month, which seems better than the non existent progress I am making now.

Thanks for any input you can give.

You may be ready for intermediate programming. Although your lifts are still really weak - most guys are able to get a fair amount stromnger before needing to switch to intermediate. But if you were 30 years old and 138 pounds, your 50 pounds of weight gain might be mostly fat.

Are you male? If so, can you grow a beard? I ask only because you might be naturally low in Testosterone, which makes fast gains difficult. Its not a crime, but it does mean that linear progression might be tapped out for you. Intermediate programming allows for more recovery.

I should give a little more info. I actually started lifting about a year and a half before I started strength training. Before I started with bro splits I was 178lbs. I was never lighter than 155 since high school. I only got down to 138lbs after a year of bro splits, HIIT, and not eating enough food. I got sick of being skinny and fat and weak, so that's when I starting eating about 3000 calories a day and strength training (I was only eating about 1200 doing the bro splits and cardio) . I have no doubt that a good portion of the weight gain has been fat. When I was 138, I would guestimate that my BF was around 15-17% (I still couldn't see my abs). Right now at 190, I am at 24-26% BF (used a fat caliper to measure).

Yes, I am male and have a beard. But low test levels have been in the back of my mind, but didn't want to mention it because it sounds like an excuse. I was planning on making an appointment and getting my levels tested.

Even though my squats aren't progressing, my other lifts are. Even though quite low by normal standards, I am quite happy with my bench progression. 145 isn't much, but it's an accomplished for me, considering a few months ago I was kicking and spitting just to put up 100lbs for a few reps.

I'd be making an appointment with a doc to get T levels check. I don't mean to shit on your progression (my bench was the same as your when I ended SS), but your squat and DL are very low.

Video 180 for 5 and post it in technique.

At this point I am not sure how useful it would be to post a form check at the present weight I am lifting. I know my form is off but I am not sure how exactly. It just feels wrong. I think I am relaxing at the bottom to get my depth and I am not sure if I am initiating hip drive properly. I feel and hope this is a form issue and not a medical issue because I was having the same sort of troubles with my deadlift until Friday. Previously I was having trouble with 225 until I found a useful cue ( which is dont think pull but push). My deadlift went from feeling like lifting a Buick to lifting a water cooler bottle. I will do another deload and post another form check.

Form check will be useful. As much as I hate to suggest spending money, you might benefit from some in-person coaching from somebody to get to the bottom of this. Not everybody is going to get STRONG, we all have our limitations, but I think most men without something weird going on with their health can get to 225x5 on the squat without doing anything drastic. Your breakthrough on the deadlift suggests that it's a problem a coach can solve (or maybe even proper cues).

Do not microload the squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Len MacDonald View Post
    At this point I am not sure how useful it would be to post a form check at the present weight I am lifting. I know my form is off but I am not sure how exactly. It just feels wrong. I think I am relaxing at the bottom to get my depth and I am not sure if I am initiating hip drive properly. I feel and hope this is a form issue and not a medical issue because I was having the same sort of troubles with my deadlift until Friday

Previously I was having trouble with 225 until I found a useful cue ( which is dont think pull but push). My deadlift went from feeling like lifting a Buick to lifting a water cooler bottle. I will do another deload and post another form check.
    Put the vid up. This sure sounds like a technical problem. That squat is really, really low and at 20 weeks in?

Problems are either physical, mental or technical. I don't think it's physical, as your body weight is fine. Mental? Not usually that one, as that is rare. So I'm guessing this one is pure technical.

Which you found out how improving technique helped you to get past a sticking point on your deadlift.

Get a vid up in the technique section. Those guys will definitely help. Sometimes it is a very simple cue, like your deadlift, to get you fixed.

Form vids for sure. Dont jump to the conclusion that you have low t. Squats are hard and take a long time to learn properly. Form is always being perfected. Keep slugging away, tweak your form, you will make progress eventually.

starting strength coach development program
    Over the weekend I went ahead and reread the chapter on squats. I came to the conclusion that I wasn't doing "knees out". I also don't think I had my feet quite pointed out enough. So I fixed those and went ahead and did 180lbs on Monday and filmed it. I got 5/5/4. I did two different angles (side and front) since I don't have enough room to film at the recommended 45 degree angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEIC6cWsHjU

As you can see, I had a little trouble on the last rep of the side view angle. I also noticed my knees buckling in from the front angle. I am also having trouble with getting winded after the 3rd rep or so, making me want to relax to get a few breaths. I think I lose a little tightness when I do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast