starting strength gym

Thread: Power Cleans AND Deadlift on Madcow 5x5 too much?

Default Power Cleans AND Deadlift on Madcow 5x5 too much?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

I'm about 20% bodyfat and trying to slowly lose some, so I can still make strength gains. I was using Reverse Pyramid Training and got burnt out due to too much intensity. I think I need to back off a bit and work my way up on a program like Madcow. From what I've read this would be a better choice then TM when attempting to this. (I prefer the way TM is laid out in terms of lifts used)

My question is: I know it says that it would be reasonable to change Rows to PCs and Deads to High-Pulls. Does anyone have any experience with doing PCs on M/F and leaving the Deads on Wed, while trying to lose some fat? Do you think doing both, and pulling from the floor 3 days a week is too much.

Also I'm not very strong, so that probably makes a difference.

1 rep maxes:

Squat: 250 (I recently switched from LB to HB and I'm 6'6 with tendonitis, so these are hard for me)
    Bench: 255
    Press: 165
    Deadlift: 365
    PC: 185 (I like the idea of doing these twice a week so I can work on form more and get better at them)

Do you think If I set the program up to hit my 5RM is 4-6 weeks I'd be setting myself up for success? My diet is good and I just eat more on training days and less on rest days type of thing.

Lay out a typical day's worth of eating for me. Try and avoid details that don't matter.

Also, what is your bodyweight and how old are you?

To at least partially answer your question......I do not have a problem with cleaning on M/F and DLing on Weds.