starting strength gym

Thread: White Wolf Getting Strong

Default White Wolf Getting Strong

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yet another Starting Strength log...

About me: 26yo, 165~ lbs, about 6'1'.
    Had a really bad injury - full tear of the ACL and PCL in my right knee and some nerve damage. 3 times through surjery and 2 years of PT later, I found a good physiotherapist who taught me how to sqaut (more like taught me how to sit on a chair and get up)...some time later I've been sqauting with a broomstick loaded with those silly PT weights.

I decided I should start training and stumbled apon Rip's book and ordered it with a copy of the DVD. After reading it once cover-to-cover I ordered a set of weights online, and by the time I got them (last saturday) I read the book again and here I am.

Hopefully, I'll manage to gain some strength, while maintaining good technique. I'll be posting video's of my squats and would appreciate getting feedback.

Sat 16.3.2013
    Squat 30kg 5,5,5
    Press 20kg 5,5,5
    Deadlift 40kg 5

Mon 18.3.2013
    Squat 35kg 5,5,5
    Bench 30 kg 5,5,5
    Deadlift 50kg 5

Until now everything was pretty nice and solid. Not sure how long I'll be able to keep up with 10kg progression on Deadlifts and 5kg on Squats. I think I'll start working on my PC technique today or on friday.

Cheers

Wed 20.3.2013
    Squat 40kg 5,5,5
    Press 25kg 5,5,5
    Deadlift 57.5kg 5

Everything smooth. Will start working on my PC on Friday.

Fri 22.3.2013
    Squat 45kg 5,5,5
    Bench 35kg 5,5,5
    PC (from knee hight) 20kg 5,5,5,5,5,5

Swong over to a WL class near my house, to learn how to Clean. Coach Was REALY nice, told me he was injured in the army as well, and offered me to join the team (not for olympic goals, but for fun and learning). He built me a different workout layout, a bit more WL-oriented. I think I'll give it a try, since he can watch me on a regular basis (though I'll still be training at home 1-2 times a week).

The Program's layout:
    Sunday:
    Squat 5x5
    Press 5x5
    Deadlift 4x4 (3x3 when I'll get heavyer)

Wednesday:
    Squat 5x4 (five sets of 4)
    Bench 3x(2-4-6) same weight across all sets
    Snach-Pulls 5x5

Friday:
    Clean 6x4 (under the knee at first and full clean later)
    Bench 4x4
    Clean Deadlift Pulls 4x4
    Press 3x3

Two point regading the above:
    1. I know this looks far from the novice program. It is. maybe I'll be gaining strength slower this way, but the huge advantage from my point of view is the close coach. Plus, I'mm not in a hurry. I've been through a LONG way standing back on my feet anyway, so I don't care about getting strong fast. If I won't be getting strong training with the WL team, I can allways come back.
    2. Technical note - if any Administrator thinks my log should be moved to another forum, go ahead and let me know please. Thanks in advance.

Thrilled to find out how things are gonna look from now on...
    Last edited by WhiteWolf; 03-24-2013 at 04:07 AM.

Mon 25.3.2013
    Squat 35kg 5x5 (deloaded a bit because of the bigger volume)
    Press 30kg 5x5 was nice all things considered
    Deadlift 60kg 4,3,3 after the first set, form was all over the place. Should've deloaded more...

Better luck next time...

Good to see another Wolf logging here. Perhaps we are distant cousins.

Looks like you're at a fork in the road in deciding whether to do what you read about in SS or to follow the guidance of this WL coach. As you quickly discovered, his programming is quite different from SS. The way he coaches/teaches the lifts probably is, too.

Although obviously I believe strongly in the SS methods, I understand the value of having a good coach present for your lifting, especially as a newcomer to strength training. Good luck in your decision, but remember that you can also post videos of your lifts here in the forum (either here on your log, in the technique forum, or the Staff Coaches Q&A) for review from people here. It's not the same as real-time coaching, but will allow you to get some feedback on SS-style lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Good to see another Wolf logging here. Perhaps we are distant cousins.

Looks like you're at a fork in the road in deciding whether to do what you read about in SS or to follow the guidance of this WL coach. As you quickly discovered, his programming is quite different from SS. The way he coaches/teaches the lifts probably is, too.

Although obviously I believe strongly in the SS methods, I understand the value of having a good coach present for your lifting, especially as a newcomer to strength training. Good luck in your decision, but remember that you can also post videos of your lifts here in the forum (either here on your log, in the technique forum, or the Staff Coaches Q&A) for review from people here. It's not the same as real-time coaching, but will allow you to get some feedback on SS-style lifting.
    Wolf's my nickname since bootcamp basic training, back in the day. By hey, maybe we are related :-)

Thanks for the reply. Can't say you helped me decide, buy you sure made me think. Like you said, having a coach is really helpful and helps ensuring things (especially now, when my knowledge is limited).
    On the other hand, the "SS way" seems to be the right way to choose.
    Do you think, from your point of view, there's a way I could combine following the program and training with the coach?

Thanks again!

Well, while waiting for the other Wolf to reply, I went for another SS workout:

Wed 27.3.2013
    Squat 45kg 5,5,5
    First set http://vimeo.com/m/62781130
    Second set http://vimeo.com/m/62781514
    Third set http://vimeo.com/m/62782100

Bench 40kg 5,5,5 easy
    PC 30kg 3,3,3,3,3 I think I'm getting a grip of things...need to find an angle to film these.

It's the first time I film myself and the first time I upload anything online.
    I'd really appreciate your opinion on my form and q's on how making things better.

Cheers

Fri 29.3.2013
    Squat 50kg 5,5,5 getting heavy for me. Couldn't film myself today. I'll be cutting the progressions and hopefully will post the next sets.
    Press 35kg 5,5,5 was heavy too. Will be cutting progressions here too.
    Deadlift 65kg 5 heavy but manageable.

starting strength coach development program
    Sun 31.3.2013

Can't train tomorrow so I tried to workout today.
    While warming up for squats my bad knee (right one, which I had gone into surgery three times for) started acing...I hate it when that happens and naively hopped that as I start working out it will stop happening. Fuck it.
    So no squats above 40 today.

Bench 45kg 5,5,5. Still quite easy, I'll keep the increments.
    PC 30kg 3,3,3,3,3. Felt good. I think I'll start advancing with weight here.

Hope everything will be back in its place until next workout.