starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chin ups 3x a week?

Default Chin ups 3x a week?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm doing madcows 5x5 intermediate with rows (mon and fro) and wanted to know other opinions on whether or not chin ups after every workout was a bad idea. I don't plan to do any other assistance, only the main lifts and the chins. Right now I can't probably do 8-10 chinups and planned on doing maybe 3xF after everyday workout. I'm thinking it might be fine since chins aren't as taxing on the upper back as pull ups would be.

Thoughts?

Do pullups as well. Upper back generally recovers well. Ease into it, though, you don't want to tweak your elbows. Also, chins are harder on the elbows than pullups, which is also a reason now to do all chins all the time.

If you want to do them weighted a rep scheme like 3x5 or 5x5 is better, for BW chins you can do a lot of different stuff. A number of sets to failure is one possibility. Just doing a certain amount of total reps or ladder training (10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1) is also nice. Depends a lot on your goal, what you want to achieve with your chinups.

Yeah sticking with 5x5. Maybe chins on mon/fri and pull ups on weds. I just want to get good at BW before trying to add weight. So maybe like 3-5 sets of 1 rep from failure every day.

I'd say do the first set to failure and the next 2 just sort and you should be good if you want to do 3 sets of body weight chins 3 times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    I'd say do the first set to failure and the next 2 just sort and you should be good if you want to do 3 sets of body weight chins 3 times a week.
    Shouldn't it be the reverse? Last set til failure?

Do Ladders... 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4 that's 30 reps without even breaking a sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Do Ladders... 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4 that's 30 reps without even breaking a sweat.
    x2.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastMode View Post
    Shouldn't it be the reverse? Last set til failure?
    I like to do the first set until failure so I can go all out and try to get a PR. If I do the last set to failure it wouldn't be a true max. That is just my psychology though, I could see the benefit to doing it the other way too.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    I like to do the first set until failure so I can go all out and try to get a PR. If I do the last set to failure it wouldn't be a true max. That is just my psychology though, I could see the benefit to doing it the other way too.
    It makes it hard to put in quality work when you blow your wad in the first set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast