starting strength gym
Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Melon's FAI/labral tear/hip arthroscopy prehab to rehab log

Default Melon's FAI/labral tear/hip arthroscopy prehab to rehab log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Woo! After 2.5 years of recurrent cycles of anterior hip pain, opposite-side SI joint pain, breaks, and linear progressions, I'm a-havin' me some surgery on my right hip. It's lonely out here, so I thought I'd make a log. I have no idea if it will include lifting, or how much, or when - so feel free to pass on by.

Backstory:
    started lifting through CF in 2010
    first hurt my right hip after about 2 months doing some stupid bullshit
    thought it was a hip flexor strain but it never went away
    got fed up with being patient, went back to CF, ended up hurt again
    thus began the cyclical process of: right hip pain, left SI pain, rest and chiro/PT/pilates/etc. to recover, re-start linear cycle.

Stats:
    Height & Weight: none of your goddamn business
    Sex: I gots me some lady-parts

Best lifts (from 12/17/11):
    LBBS: 220 (not quite 1.5xBW)
    DL: 250
    Press: something pitiful
    Bench: ditto

Surgery date: May 2, 2013
    Diagnosis: FAI with mixed cam/pincer impingement (primarily cam) and torn labrum.

Day 1 prehab! Got my surgery packet in my email and got excited! Went to CFSBK to use their toys - much more space for and less funny looks about this kind of stuff than at the regular gym closer to home. Did almost the full complement of prehab exercises, and felt thoroughly stupid doing them. Some things are awful and some things are clearly geared for patients with zero posterior chain development. If we're worried about glute activation, can't I just squat and do some DLs?

Right side abs sore the next day, but since I did everything, I have no idea what caused it. Hmmm. Meant to get in some upper body work, but got to the gym too late. 30 reps each of a zillion dinky prehab exercises takes a long time!
    Last edited by fructa; 03-23-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Day 2 prehab: at the commercial gym (henceforth HF). Went when the yoga studio space wasn't full of ladies in tight pants jumping around to music; made the prehab less embarrassing.

Started on the floor with:
    clam shells - unknown number; it takes a while to get the glute activation; also these hurt in my joint - not sure if I'll keep doing them.
    Straight leg lifts (abduction) - 3x10
    Straight leg lifts from beneath (adduction) - 3x10
    Prone straight leg lifts - 3x10 - this needs added weight. Totally pointless without.
    Front planks - 3 x :30
    Side planks - 3 x :15?
    Supine hip bridges to box for additional glute/hamstring activation - 3 x 10, alternating legs
    Quadruped rocks with :30 hold at end position - 5
    Hip flexor and adductor stretches with one of those giant balls - 5 each. Adductor stretch this way was better than standing, which led to weird pain on outside of hip
    Prone rotations - omitted
    Bird dog - omitted
    Crunches - omitted because they are stupid; will use ab roller later
    Step downs/hip hikes - combined; 3x15 or so
    Wall sits 3x:30
    Squats on a fucking bosu ball - 3 x 10
    Cable weighted hip extension, abduction, adduction - 3x10 each with 10lbs.

Then got fed up with it and went ahead and squatted to 3x5 @ 125, DL 1x5 @ 155. Got compliments on form from the other starting strength heads. Hahahaha. Bench 3x5 at 75, lat pulldown @ 85. Limped on home to stretch more and ice a lot. Pretty sore after all that.

3/27: Prehab day 3. Hamstrings still sore as shit from the raised bridges on Sunday.
    Got my ass up early to go to HF before work. Amazingly, there are no predawn yoga/zumba/jumping around in sneakers classes in there.
    Corralled all the prehab work into 4 little circuits. Some things hurt, some things are too easy, and I'm too dumb to figure out which is which, so I do them all.
    Skipped the stretching until later in the day, but got it all in eventually. My psoas is f'king PISSED. Should really set up some massage time soon.

3/28: site visit for work on a potential project. Drove out to Queens, rode around in a school bus, did a minimal amount of tramping about and taking pictures, drove back, was outpaced on the 5-block walk back from the zipcar lot by my 60+ year old, totally out of shape boss (who continually regales me with stories of how he was told he needed knee surgery 15 years ago, but instead of having it he just gave up all physical activity, as any sane person would). Sigh. Sore afterwards / the next morning. Maybe I'm not a total idiot for letting someone cut me open in 5 weeks...

3/31: prehab at home before heading in to the office. Skipped the resisted work b/c didn't want to fuck around with bands. clamshells and side-lying leg raises hurt in the joint, but why not be bullheaded and do them? It's not like they're not going to cut me open anyway.
    17.5 hours at the office over the weekend prepping for a public meeting on Wednesday - didn't get to the gym.
    Insurance authorization for surgery came in the mail yesterday; it looks like it's official!

Nefarious double post!! I excise you.
    Last edited by fructa; 04-08-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Woo, working every day for 2 weeks sure made me lazy as shit about keeping up with the prehab.
    4/6: went for a brutal (and yet awesome) hour long medical massage with a kee-razy french dude named Mark. Still bruised from it; not totally sure it helped, but it sure hurt a lot. Also started stretching my psoas by anchoring my right foot to our coffee table, to my left, while draped uncomfortably backwards over a 65cm exercise ball for 10 minutes at a time. I feel like an idiot, but it totally helps.
    Today: did a little prehab this morning before work: clamshells, abductor/adductor straight leg raises, prone leg raises. All weighted to a WHOPPING 2.5 lbs. Woah! Then I got bored and went to work. Setting up to do these things in our tiny apartment is really awkward. Every time I do the hip hikes on a chair I'm thumping my head into the doorframe.
    Also spent some quality time ordering creepy medical equipment online. Raised toilet seat, anyone? Shower stool? Woo, $150 of crap I don't want.
    Last item today was trying to find out if I can get insurance to cover anasthesiology for this mess. Fingers crossed...

Hey man. I am right there with you. Having bilateral surgery in may. I will post some details when I'm at a real computer but I wanted to show my support.

starting strength coach development program
    adnscmplx: Bilateral, yowch. At the same time? That'll be a bitch in recovery. Who's doing it?

More prehabbin': was super lazy and did 1-2 things each morning this week. (birddog/hip bridges, theraband walks mixed with some push ups & assisted chins for fun)
    Today did more of the rotation: clams, leg raises (all kinds), hip rotation, quadruped stretch, bridges, birddog. Weights up to 3.4lbs (who made these .85 lb sandbags?); aiming to do more work tonight while cooking.
    Insurance actually volunteered that they will cover the anasthesiologist even though he doesn't participate in their plan, because both the hospital and the surgeon do. This all seems too easy and I am deeply suspicious, but happy enough for now.
    My apartment is now full of medical crap! Whee!
    And the office manager in my little 9 person office pulled the shit out of her hamstring doing yoga and is now on crutches and in far more pain than I'm in. I feel like a complete fraud. Hooray! On the upside, I got to take apart an industrial holepunch at the office today and whack it with shit until it started working again, then reassemble it. Totally fun.

Edit: later, prehab round 2: 1-leg balancing on a ball, squats on a foam roller, theraband walks, 11 minute psoas stretch.
    Last edited by fructa; 04-11-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast