starting strength gym

Thread: Thoughts on a new program

Default Thoughts on a new program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I was just being bored at work and was kicking around the idea of this program that I think would allow more recovery for myself and my wife. We burnt out on LP quickly and due to time constraints moved off LP sooner than optimal. Anyways, the program would be an upper/lower split with a single main lift per day and would look something like this
    Monday: press Tuesday: deads Thursday: bench Friday: squat
    So you would follow 5x5 for the main lift(adjusted if needed) and one or two ancillary excersises. You would load it either by 5# or 2.5# each week except on the third week you would only work up to 90% of your last completed work set and do one set with no ancillary exercises. The following week you would add weight from you last completed 5x5.
    Any thoughts?

Sounds similar to 5/3/1 4 day per week program, except it's not 5/3/1 but 5X5 and your bumps are a different scheme. I've recently started running the 5/3/1 version (tomorrow is my last '1' day of the first cycle) and I really like it so far. If you haven't considered 5/3/1 you might want to take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Murphy View Post
    Sounds similar to 5/3/1 4 day per week program, except it's not 5/3/1 but 5X5 and your bumps are a different scheme. I've recently started running the 5/3/1 version (tomorrow is my last '1' day of the first cycle) and I really like it so far. If you haven't considered 5/3/1 you might want to take a look.
    Thanks for responding.
    I've never read the book so I hadn't realized it was so similar, I know some guys who ran it and I've seen it in the forum a lot. I'll look into it more, I just wasn't sure how long you could run the one I thought up and I thought it would exhaust itself quickly which is why I asked, I don't know if I'll even try it, I just like geeking out on programming if I get the chance.

Hi Haggit,
    Forum member Karl Schudt and I are running a condensed version of 5/3/1, instead of a 4 week cycle to increase loads, we are running it a two week version, using just weeks 5 and 1.
    I'm only on my second week of it but Karl has been running it for awhile making great progress. We both have logs in the Intermediate Log section if you want to see. (The routine I'm running is on the first post of my log.)

The reason why I liked Karl's idea so much, is because it seemed like a much easier biweekly progression compared to Texas Method, which I was on before this. There is still a good amount of volume, but you aren't running 5 heavy sets across on 2 lifts on Monday which is just brutal some days. Without spending time doing cardio, going to this 5/3/1 variant also cut my gym time down to 30-45mins.

The best program's are the ones you look forward to.

Aucran, just yesterday i was checking your log out and the thread where you guys were talking about the variation. Looks awesome. Ill study it closer to get a feel for it and i really need to buy the book. Im afraid with my schedule any version of TM would be more than i could recover from.

starting strength coach development program
    hsllman, do you have your log on here? id like to check it out.