starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restarting SS after significant weight loss

Default Restarting SS after significant weight loss

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm logging this here because I feel that help from others with experience may help me get back to where I need to be. I haven't run LP in a long time. I'm going to post my workouts for the past few weeks first.

Dates may be a bit off... Everything is in POUNDS

2-28 BW -175lbs
    Squats 145
    BP 135
    Deadlift 200

3-1
    SQ 155
    P 95
    DL 215

3-4
    SQ 165
    BP 140
    DL 210 - No clue why I DL 10lbs less here...

3-6
    SQ 175
    P 100
    DL 220

3-8
    SQ 185
    BP 145
    DL 230

3-11
    SQ 195
    P 105
    DL 240

3-13
    SQ 205
    BP 150
    PC 135

3-15
    SQ 200 - Think I backed off here a bit because of form issues
    P 110
    DL 255

3-18 BW -186lbs
    SQ 205
    BP 155
    PC 140

3-20
    SQ 210
    P 115
    DL 265

3-22
    SQ 215
    BP 160
    PC 145

3-25
    SQ 220
    P 120
    DL 275 - Last rep I had a rounded back so I decided to only add 5lbs for today.

3-27
    SQ 225
    BP 165
    PC 145 - Jerked it too much on second set and strained my back a bit. Going to repeat this weight. Feels fine now.

3-29 BW -192lbs
    SQ 230
    P 125
    DL 280 - For whatever reason this was hard today. How long before you should start adding in a light back day with back extensions? Thinking this is coming soon.

I went from squatting 415 at 220lbs in August to 175lbs by February. This happened because of a change in job. Went from a desk job to a highly physical one. I tried to continue to squat for a month or two after I started, but I was too exhausted.

To top it off I became depressed and started having panic attacks. Doctor says it caused my weight loss to be so severe so quickly. I think the weight loss caused the depression, honestly. As I get bigger and stronger again, I feel better every day. Of course, I AM on paxil now. Hoping to be off of it by this summer.

Any help from some more experienced guys would be great.

My diet looks like this 5 days a week because of my work schedule:
    - 16oz milk w/ cup oatmeal, scoop of protein and banana for breakfast. If working out that day i'll drink another cup of oatmeal before I go.
    - Post workout 2 double cheesburgers from dollar menu of any of the food chains.
    - Before work 2 double cheesburgers from dollar menu of any of the food chains.
    - While at work 2 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. One before lunch, one after.
    - Lunch is 2 double cheeseburgers from dollar menu of any of the food chains.
    - While at work I consume at least 2 quarts of milk. Preferably 3.( I work for a dairy company)
    - Dinner is whatever my wife makes me.

On my off days I tend to eat everything in site. I won't begin to try and list it. Whatever I have lying around. Always eat at least 1lb of red meat, though. Always a gallon of milk on days off.

4-1 BW 196lbs(It was Easter yesterday...Lots of good food)
    SQ 235 - Felt easy today
    BP 170 - Easy.
    PC - 145 - Much better today. Have to work on my rest times a little.
    Pullups - 11,10,10

I got this shirt in the mail yesterday: http://www.amazon.com/Conan-T-shirt-...ref=pd_sbs_a_2

A guy at the gym called it the "raddest thing he's ever seen." I had to agree.

4-3 BW -199lbs (My actual BW is probably lower. I don't weigh until AFTER my workouts because i'm afraid of the mental impact if I happen to lose some weight.)
    SQ 240 - These felt great today.
    P - 130 - I was feeling so strong on these that I decided to do some heavy singles to see where I am. I did one rep at 140, 150, and 160lbs.
    DL - 290 - These were hard again. Form didn't break down, but they felt slow. I guess i'm going to start adding in the back extensions and see how that goes.
    Dips - 45lbsx5x3
    BB curls - 75lbsx8x3

I feel like my diet and rest is getting dialed in. The only thing i've felt remotely weak on is the DL, and I think it is just time to decrease the frequency. I'm also going to start adding in an extra warmup set at 1 rep to see how that works. The jump from the 2 rep weight just seems way too much.

I wore my Conan shirt again. Two more people gave me compliments on it.

4-5 BW - 200lbs
    Squat 245x5x3
    Bench 175x5x3
    Power Cleans 150x3x5
    Pullups 25lbsx5x3

One of those days today. Nothing felt right. Everything was a grind. I didn't sleep well last night and I had a rough night at work. I had a cup of coffee and a scoop and a half of jack3d and was still dragging a bit. Oh well. It happens. Decided i'd just eat a lot this weekend to make up for it. I went to a chinese buffet right after my workout.

4-8
    Squat - 220x5x3 - See below
    Press - 135x5x3
    Deadlift - 295x5x1
    Dips - 17, 15, 12
    BB Curls - 80x8x3

I recorded my sets on squats and powercleans last time. Got around to watching them last night before I set up my workouts for today. Found out why they have felt hard lately. My form was pretty awful. I decided to deload 10% to get a handle on it. Everything felt amazing today. Watched the video and it was much better. Just going to continue linear progression from here.

I also brushed up on my deadlift form and realized I was starting with my hips too high. So I lowered my hips and wore my belt. Felt fantastic and easy at 295. Feel like 10lb jumps can continue from here on.

On another note, i've been having some pain in my lower back. At the bottom near my ass on my right side. At first I thought it was from deads. I found out today during my press that it wasn't. I haven't been tightening my core like I should on my upper body lifts, I think. So I wore my belt during press worksets and the pain was nonexistant. I'll most likely start wearing it during bench. Having the belt on MAKES me tighten against it without having to think about it.

I'm also considering doing something else in place of powercleans. I don't really care for them, and I think i'd benefit more from a rowing exercise instead.

4-10
    Squat - 225x5x3 - These are feeling a lot better now. The deload was a good idea.
    Bench - 180x5x3
    Power Clean - 155x3x5
    Pullups - 30lbsx5x3

Some notes:

- I decided to start wearing my belt for the upper body lifts too(see earlier post about lower back pain and tightness). It made bench press seem MUCH easier than before and, for whatever reason, allowed me to keep the correct bar path without a problem. I usually tend to bring the bar too far up the chest.
    - My gym is starting up a crossfit program soon and they just received a shipment of their bumper plates. With the plates + the fixed starting position, the power cleans are feeling a lot better. I had one of the crossfit "coaches" watch me today. He said it looked good to him. Take that for what it's worth...
    - I heard a rumor they were only going to allow the crossfit people to use the bumpers. That doesn't seem possible to me. I know i'll be sneaking them on my bar every time I need them... I'd be willing to pay a little extra for their use too as the membership fee is only 15$ a month there.
    - I need to start logging the difficulty level of each work set like I used to. It would make for better comparisons after a deload. Squats at 225 felt easy today, but i'm curious how they felt the first go around.
    Last edited by JCavin; 04-11-2013 at 10:05 AM.

4-12 BW - 204lbs
    Squat - 230x5x3 - Felt easy.
    Press - 140x5x3 - Last rep on each set was slow. Strong, but slow.
    Deadlift - 305x5x1 - Felt good.
    Dips - 47.5lbsx5x3
    BB Curls - 80x8x2 - I've had forearm splints before from these. Feels like they're trying to make a comeback. May switch these with reverse curls w/ EZ bar.

Some notes:
    - Didn't sleep for shit last night. I could tell in my workout it was affecting me. I felt strong, but just wore out. On the plus side, I should sleep very well tonight.

4-15
    Squats 235x5x3
    Bench 185x5x3
    Power Cleans 155x3x5

Once again, my recovery is shit. I'm beginning to think that squatting 3x a week just isn't possible with my job. The first 4 hours is the equivalent of dragging a sled. I know i'm getting enough food and sleep. I've been sick almost constantly with hang around crap like head colds for the last month and i'm always tired.

I'm considering going back to 5/3/1 for the reduced frequency squatting.

starting strength coach development program
    What kinda work is it that you're doing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast