starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CP's Mixed Bag Training Log

Default CP's Mixed Bag Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was keeping my log in a spreadsheet. It was nice that it tracked everything I lifted and told me what I would lift the next day. Then came my bicep muscle tear and the rehab of I will be doing of it. I need writing space to comment on progress through it so I am doing keeping a SS forum log.

Basics:
    44 year old male
    5'10", 205 lbs, 25% bf (estimate using picture charts)

I was a distance running in middle & high school, skinny as hell until after college. Then I played softball and did tae kwon do until my early 30's, running a marathon at 28. Then I got married, had a kid, etc. and let myself go. At 42 I looked into getting back into shape. Knowing a powerlifter or two I did some internet searching and came across "Strong Lifts: gain strength and lose weight". After a year or so of that (off and on) I migrated slowly over to SS and have been doing Novice seriously about 6 months with minor setbacks/deloads (read: divorce :P).

Due to my home workout (basement) room space restrictions I do seated OHP instead of standing and I do Barbell Rows instead of Power Cleans.

After some lingering muscle soreness in my biceps I tweaked my left bicep good doing Rows on March 24th during the second or third set. On the 28th during my first deadlift repetition my bicep hurt still so I set it down quickly. A few days later some bruising appeared and over the course of a few days has seeped down to the backside of my elbow. I've shown the occupational therapist at work and several knowledgable friends and the consensus is its probably a tear. It was recommended I go to the doctor for an MRI, but that at my age and the fact that I haven't lost any motion nor am I in any pain without a fair amount of loan, the concensus is that he wouldn't do anything anyway. So I am going to progress with PT with the OT as well as on my own.

I am dropping Rows and Deadlifts from my program completely for 1 month. During this time I will work on bicep curls with an empty dumbell bar slowly adding weight over time. At the end of the month I plan on working out with an empty bar and adding weight slowly there to gauge my recovery.

Also, I have been doing cardio on an elliptical, mostly on rest days. I have started doing HIIT elliptical once a week. I was considering doing low intensity cardio another off day as well. I am now realizing I was possibly overtraining. The bicep injury, my fatigue, and restlessness when trying to sleep are signalling to me I'm doing too much.

I am taking the rest of the week off completely to rest, catch up on sleep, and hope my arm is done bleeding inside. After that I am backing off to 2 days off between every lifting day. This is actually closer to what I had been averaging up until the last month or so. I am still doing 1 day of HIIT once a week (30 mins) and 1 day of low impact cardio or walking/biking another day (30 mins).

My goal is to drop my bodyfat to 15% or so and be strong doing it. I want to be healthy and look healthy. I was there once before a decade ago and I want to return. And I want to have fun doing it.

My macro targets are 265/200/55 (p/c/f)weight training days and 275/140/70 the rest.

I take 5-7g creatine a day every day. I take BCAA's immediately post weight lifting workout. I do alot of whey daily to make macros. I am on TRT due to my age (I don't know what my T score is now but the Doc says its fine). I also take a multivitamin, fish oil capsule, folic acid (for homocysteine) daily.
    Last edited by CFPeterson; 04-03-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Last training was 30 minutes of HIIT elliptical on Monday, 01Apr2013. The last weight training was Sunday, 31Mar2013. The last two nights I've slept well again. I could still feel some muscle soreness in my quads and hamstrings yesterday, but I haven't noticed any this morning. I am tentatively planning on doing squats and bench on Saturday.

As far as the bicep, I lifted the dog into bed last night and did not feel anything abnormal. The buising is beginning to dissapate though alot of it has migrated to my elbow... I assume its just pooling due to gravity (I sit at a desk at work, with my elbows on my desk). If all goes well Friday evening (tomorrow) I will try 50 reps of bicep curls with an empty dumbell bar, and maybe 50 twisting my wrist too. This would be the first rehab workout. I will do this daily from here on out, adding light weight when I feel confident of it. I sort of have a phobia of that muscle twanging that happened when I got injured and don't want to do any more perminant damage than I already have.

I am still trying to make my food macros. I am guessing my muscles are still building despite 4 days off now from squats.

Morning weight 204.0# and 41" around the navel. I am 7.0" around the wrist. Not sure how any of these correlate to a weight trainer, but I know I need to drop 2-3" at least off my pants waistline. My 36" pants are tight, my 38" pants are loose. I think I would be 34" when at an appropriate bf %. For a short period in college I wore 32" pants. I was underweight, but actually my bf% might have been on. I'll worry about where to be after I get to 34" and see what it looks like.

Edit: getting up from my chair for a cup of coffee and I can tell my quads are still recovering some, maybe from the HIIT on Monday after squats Sunday
    Last edited by CFPeterson; 04-04-2013 at 09:37 AM.

Color of bruise starting to fade. Big patch of pooled blood still around the elbow, making it a little tender, and I of course bump everything with it. I can't recall the last time my bicep has hurt now, but I have avoided lifting anything heavy, though I've moved around the dog, laundry in basket, etc.

Rehab starting today.

30 mins low impact elliptical

3lb x 25 x 3 bicep curls, was scared, but they felt fine. Just beginning to get tired at the end.
    Last edited by CFPeterson; 04-05-2013 at 08:22 PM.

squat 220x5x3
    bench 150x5x3

6lb x 25 x 3 bicep curls. I could feel something wrong in there, but not necessarily painful.

squat 220x5x3
    bench 150x5x3

9lb x 25 x 3 bicep curls. I could feel something wrong in there, but not necessarily painful.

HIIT 30 mins (4m warmup, 12x 20hi/1:40lo, 4m cooldown)

12lb x 25 x 3 bicep curls. Felt normal until near the end of the sets, when I could feel the something.

30 mins low intensity elliptical

14lb x 25 x 3 bicep curls. Felt good. Regular fatigue at the end of the sets.

Whoa, dude. You're right, we are *very* similar. Really skinny frames (I'm 6'2" w/ 7.25" wrists) w/ too much fat and no where near enough muscle. Bummer about your bicep.

I'll keep an eye on your log. I keep thinking of starting one of my own. Maybe I should and we can try to push each other's results (though I'm not injured right now.)

Yah, sounds like a great idea. More motivation!

starting strength coach development program
    squat 227.5 x 5 x 3, first set seemed really hard, other 2 were fine. Now I realize I put too much weight on the bar. Need an updated schedule to take with lifting, my memory isn't good enough to do this without help :P
    seated ohp 80 x 5 x 2, failed in the last set. Might have rushed the between-set rest. Try again in 2 workouts.

16 x 25 x 3 left bicep curl, felt fine, got tired. Didnt feel as bad as it did unracking for one of the ohps. Not going to push it fast, but I'm optimistic.
    Last edited by CFPeterson; 04-10-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast