starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Broke Legs - First Competition, time to learn to Power Clean & a debt of thanks

Default Brian Broke Legs - First Competition, time to learn to Power Clean & a debt of thanks

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip!

Brian J here. Completely hardware free! Have signed up for my first meet through N.A.S.A and will be competing May 11. I will officially enter in to the 1200 lb club that day. 300/400/500 . .

This from the guy that was destined to a wheelchair or walker. I still watch segments of the DVD you sent before I train each morning.

You told me to contact you when I thought I was ready to learn the Power Clean...I believe I am there, Coach. This runs concurrently with taking a position with a company that is based in Houston so I will be traveling to and from Texas fairly regularly. Was hoping I could stop in, thank you in person and get a few tips on learning to Clean.

Talk about a small world. Jeremy Mullins, owner of Firebreather Fitness in Teays Valley, WV, a popular crossfit facilty - heard about my story through my sister-in-law that trains there. He then donated a load of plates to me to continue my training ( I had ran out). In meeting Jeremy he told me that he had been to WFAC and had met you - - him and several of the "West Virginia-sized" Crossfitters. It is amazing the generosity of folks when they see you are wanting to improve yourself.

So here we are - -less than a year ago, I was using a walker and had nearly reached the end of my rope .. .almost convinced that I was destined to be disabled. That was when YOU stepped in - sent me the material and started guiding me. Between you and the folks on the SS forums, I went from barely being able to do a partial body weight squat due to the muscle atrophy to now pretty confident that I will hit plus 400lbs in my meet attempts. I could not lift a 45 lb plate with any confidence off the floor and will be landing somewhere between 500 and 600 lbs on my Deadlift at the meet. All less than a year ago, I had two legs that were filled with bars, shafts, pins and screws . . .put together like a patchwork quilt. The bones in my legs now are more dense than ever, thick and strong - destroying and pushing out the hardware . . now hardware free.

Rip - - thanks. While it may be lip service from some - -I owe you. You changed the course of my life; for me, my kids, friends and family. Others are now performing beyond what they ever expected because they say I motivated them; that my story was inspirational. You are changing lives - -and it isn't just those of us under the bar. It is a ripple effect through all the folks we touch and impact. I hope you take a moment to appreciate what you have done and give yourself just a minute of pride at what you have done for others. There will always be a-holes that will take folks for granted They pale in comparison to the impact you make in one life, my friend.

Brian J

Brian, I am humbled by your courage and tenacity, and I am proud to have you on the board. I know that you have served as an inspiration for the many people who have read your posts and traccked your progress on this board. We are all proud of you. You are welcome in my gym and my home anytime.

Awesome.

This story and the other one about the fella who got a whole lot better from his parkinson are really impressive, beyond what I or any doctor expected out barbell training. Brian gets applause from me, for taking a kick in the nuts and not giving up, and coming back up with an attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Brian, I am humbled by your courage and tenacity, and I am proud to have you on the board. I know that you have served as an inspiration for the many people who have read your posts and traccked your progress on this board. We are all proud of you. You are welcome in my gym and my home anytime.
    Thanks Rip - -and the same holds true here should you find yourself traveling through the heart of "Bourbon Country". We are in Lexington - -and if you can tolerate the 6 kids & 4 dogs there is a standing invitation. LOL..

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    This story and the other one about the fella who got a whole lot better from his parkinson are really impressive, beyond what I or any doctor expected out barbell training. Brian gets applause from me, for taking a kick in the nuts and not giving up, and coming back up with an attitude.
    Man - -words like that keeps me psyched!! Thanks much Carlos.

Incredible story. Congratulations, Brian.

Amazing story. Congrats on the recovery, that is very inspirational! Best of luck at the meet.

Brian... I saw your posts and your squat video and thought 'I already like this dude'.

Turns out you're a goddamn living legend. Way to make life your bitch buddy : )

I know it doesn't mean too much coming from a stranger, but I share Mark's sentiment... proud of you man.

Quote Originally Posted by Toniy View Post
    Brian... I saw your posts and your squat video and thought 'I already like this dude'.

Turns out you're a goddamn living legend. Way to make life your bitch buddy : )

I know it doesn't mean too much coming from a stranger, but I share Mark's sentiment... proud of you man.
    It means everything coming from you. The way I see it - -I am obligated for the rest of my life to try to motivate and assist others. I didn't end up walking again by accident. Depending on ones belief - whether it was a gift from God . .a miracle. . .a gift of fate that allowed me to stumble across Rip and Starting Strength . . it doesn't matter where ones belief system lies. .the truth of the matter is that I am up and on my feet for a reason. If seeing my fat hairy Shrek-like self making progress helps others believe in themselves . .man . .that is what my life is all about. Rip paid it forward to me . .I owe others. I am currently saving my pennies and dimes. My next step is to get SS certified and train pro bono. . .never ask for a cent from anyone. There are alot of teens an young adults here in Lexington that need direction . .my story and experience gives me credibility - -now I just want to have the knowledge not to screw someone up . . .it will come. Thanks again for the kind words .keeps me freakin pumpin!!

starting strength coach development program
    Brian,

I had fallen away from the board here, obviously just prior to your arrival. I read your story (and have reread it about 5 times) and what an absolute inspiration you are Sir !

Great job, and keep up the good work.

Shawn, in CA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast