starting strength gym

Thread: Following SS but have to rest my legs for 1 month

Default Following SS but have to rest my legs for 1 month

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been following SS for a month now and enjoying it. However about 6 months ago I tore a muscle in my groin, not horribly but as my lifts get heavier its getting aggitated so my physiotherapist told me to just not do any hip/leg oriented activities (squats biking etc) f until it heals (~1 month). I can use my legs when benching but I need to keep the load on them low in general.

I enjoy the setup of SS with big lifts attempting for linear progression and I am stuck doing upper body work until my tear is gone.

However, I dont know if i can just treat bench/chins/press like squats and do them every gym session.

I would like to do something like this but dont know if its practical:

Day A:
    Bench 3x5
    chin ups 3x15
    Press 3x5

Day B:
    Press 3x5
    chin ups 3x15
    Bench 3x5

I imagine I shouldnt do both bench and press in one day, but I thought maybe alternating the order would work out.
    A little help would be appreciated greatly.
    Also for reference I can only lift 2x per week. I cant change that unfortunately. I know it will hold me back and possibly make me fatter.
    Last edited by chico1st; 04-08-2013 at 10:05 AM.

You might want to look up the Starr Protocol for muscle tears.

You can and should try the Starr Protocol with narrow stance squats. I have a lifter with some chronic groin issues who has used it quite successfully on multiple occasions.

I tried doing the Starr Protocol but the pain was increasing as I did the high volume squats so I suppose I need to wait longer.

However I want to keep going to the gym and the Starr write-up said to not impede the healing in any way, which I assume means loading that part of the body.

so do you think I can follow the above program for the time being? (bench, chin, squat) or can I not do those movements everytime I go to the gym like when I was Squating.

Quote Originally Posted by chico1st View Post
    I imagine I shouldnt do both bench and press in one day, but I thought maybe alternating the order would work out.
    A little help would be appreciated greatly.
    Also for reference I can only lift 2x per week. I cant change that unfortunately. I know it will hold me back and possibly make me fatter.
    You can probably do both bench and press in the same day, just maybe do a volume/intensity template.Monday do 1 heavy set of bench, followed by volume bench (usually 3-5x5 at 80-85% of your intensity set) of press. Thursday switch it. 1 heavy set of press followed by volume bench.

Get some GOOD Compression Shorts.

i understand that compression shorts can force everything into the right spot but are they a crutch like squat girdles?? (whatever they are called)
    I would dislike forgetting my shorts one day once I have increased my squat weight and learning that some muscles are not as developed... which would result in tearing again.

If this is not the case and there are no issues with them then by all means ill grab some.

starting strength coach development program
    just for everyone's reference i did try to just do chins bench and press in a linear 3x a week SS style program for 1 month with
    5x3 bench
    15x3 chin
    5x3 press
    i would alternate starting press or bench

it worked pretty well, i was adding 5 lbs per session to my bench for the month (i can only bench 150 not including bar though)
    i had really spotty gains on my press (some days it would decrease :S others increase and i couldnt find any pattern)
    chins were getting better... or rather i could always do 6/5/4 reps while getting heavier

maybe shoulders are too small of a muscle to get worked out that many times a week ???

anyways my legs work now so i get to squat!! ( but im finishing starr and im at 25x3 @ 120 lbs and it sucks

Also: my question of whether or compression shorts are a 'crutch' still stands.
    Last edited by chico1st; 04-30-2013 at 05:06 PM.