starting strength gym

Thread: volume of intensity work

Default volume of intensity work

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Andy,

I'm currently doing a 4-day split, and in days 3 and 4 I do intensity-focused bench and squats. I'm doing a 1-2 RM weight for these, i.e. too much to pull off 5 straight reps. But I'm going for a total of 5-6 reps, i.e. a double and a few singles.

Is that a good approach to intensity, and one that may contribute to strength development? Or would it be better to drop the weight and do an actual 5 RM set? The problem is that my 5RM is not that far away from what I'm doing on my 5x5 sets on days 1 and 2.

You definitely don't want a 5rm and a 5x5 workout that are too close in weight. I like singles and doubles on ID. Just don't go SO heavy that you are doing a 1rm or 2rm at every workout. That will burn you out. I kinda like submax doubles or singles across.

Thanks, that makes sense. On volume day today I did 5x5 at 210, though it wasn't QUITE 5x5... it was 5, 5, 5, 3+3, 2+2, i.e. all 25 of the reps but had to split the last two sets (though fairly short rest).

A few days ago my intensity day was 225 for a double and then four singles, i.e. 6 total reps.

My thought is still to go up to 212.5 for next week's volume day, but no reason not to keep intensity day at 225 until I can at least get a triple and a few singles. Does that make sense?

Your 5x5 work should all be sets of 5. 2x2 is not the same as a set of 5.

I would stay at 210 for 5x5 work (ensure adequate rest between sets). I would go to 230 for singles across.

Shit, as I wrote that, I realized that your volume work and your intensity work is only 20 lbs apart. Something is screwed up with your numbers. This spread isn't going to yield much progress in the long run. There should be much more distance between volume day 5s and intensity day singles.