Thread: Programming around a skipped workout

Default Programming around a skipped workout

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

I do the following program,

M: Squat wide stance 3x5, Bench 3x5, Split Clean 5x3

W: Squat heavy, 3-5x2-3, Split snatch 5x2, Assistance bench(alternating close grip, one arm db overhead press and partial rom(with pause at bottom) seated incline press

F: OHP 5x5(but I am thinking about trying this for a while, 1x5,1x1,1x1,1x1 sub max 1x1xmax looping up to 8 set of one single max), Split clean 5x3 and deadlift 1-3x2-5.

W and F are usually done in that order but sometimes I switch and squat on Fridays.

Now to my question, sometimes I have to miss W workouts for family reasons.

How would I address this if I was still to train on Friday?

Meaning, how would you set up a schedule for the remaining(Thurs+Friday) week if I had already done M workout and can’t train during the weekend?

My first though was like this:

Thursday: OHP and clean.

Friday: Squat, and back assistance(pullups, rows etc) or deadlifts for low reps

Thank you for your time.

I don't know. Your program seems odd to me. Your set up at the bottom looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    I don't know. Your program seems odd to me. Your set up at the bottom looks fine.
    Odd why?

Because I dont squat 3 times a week?

Because the press is done 5x5 and the bench only 3x5?

Because I have started to split clean and split snatch?

Because I dont squat and deadlift at the same day?

Because M is squat day and W also, the reason for this is that I go to a power lifting gym once a week (usually on wednesday) for coaching and I rotate that session between squat an deadlift as main, in order to get a bit of coaching on both. (I mainly do sumo deadlifts).

Would be interesting to know why it looks odd, please do not take offense!

I'm not trying to be rude

Regards
    Daniel

How do you mean odd? Why?

Take a deep breath dude.............

Ok, I went back and looked at your program a little more closely.....not as odd on second glance.

Didn't quite understand the reason to squat heavy on Mon & Weds and not Friday. It would make more sense to squat heavy Monday & Friday. It has nothing to do with your squat frequency, just the spacing during the week. I only squat 1x week and I have no problem at all with squatting less than 3 times per week, as you know if you read this board.

I could care less how you clean or snatch, or if you even do them, nor do I care if you squat and DL on the same day. As per my log, I squat Tues and Deadlift on Friday.

Assistance bench(alternating close grip, one arm db overhead press and partial rom(with pause at bottom) seated incline press

F: OHP 5x5(but I am thinking about trying this for a while, 1x5,1x1,1x1,1x1 sub max 1x1xmax looping up to 8 set of one single max)

I guess upon a cursory glance all this stuff threw me off a bit. My apologies, sometimes I skim these things.

Daniel...........I hereby decree that your program is NOT odd. And I give you my permission to continue.

Thumbs up

starting strength coach development program
    Take a deep breath dude.............

Ok, I went back and looked at your program a little more closely.....not as odd on second glance.

Didn't quite understand the reason to squat heavy on Mon & Weds and not Friday. It would make more sense to squat heavy Monday & Friday. It has nothing to do with your squat frequency, just the spacing during the week. I only squat 1x week and I have no problem at all with squatting less than 3 times per week, as you know if you read this board.

I could care less how you clean or snatch, or if you even do them, nor do I care if you squat and DL on the same day. As per my log, I squat Tues and Deadlift on Friday.

Assistance bench(alternating close grip, one arm db overhead press and partial rom(with pause at bottom) seated incline press

F: OHP 5x5(but I am thinking about trying this for a while, 1x5,1x1,1x1,1x1 sub max 1x1xmax looping up to 8 set of one single max)

I guess upon a cursory glance all this stuff threw me off a bit. My apologies, sometimes I skim these things.

Daniel...........I hereby decree that your program is NOT odd. And I give you my permission to continue.
    Take a deep breath dude. I did it !