starting strength gym

Thread: transitioning to Madcow or Texas method for 53yr.old ??

Default transitioning to Madcow or Texas method for 53yr.old ??

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Long time lurker,i have been lifting/weight training for whole adult life and have been following C. Waterbury's programs for the past 15 months,but now my 20 yr. old son has me working out with him on SL 5x5, progress has been great but Squat recovery is hard,my current lifts are Sq.365,DL385,BP275 OHP185 at Body weight of 240lbs.i have been on this program for 10 weeks,i do like what i see on both TM or Madcow and i just purchased and read Jim Wendlers 531 2nd. edition but think 531 doesn't have enough volume, any help would be great,would like to keep a MON.WED.Fri. routine.I do have a goal set for myself Squat 405 DL500 and BP350 am i out to lunch at 53 yrs. old??

I think that your numbers are fine, and with good training, sleep, diet, and luck (no injuries) you can get there.

You can try the Texas Method, but my experience has shown me that older guys don't do well over the long term.

I think you'll probably end up doing something like this:

Mon - Squat
    Wed - Bench
    Fri - Deadlift

Thanks Andy,would i be wise then to drop to 3x5 on Squats and continue until i stall, i really like doing Deads and have strayed a bit from the program to do 2x5 instead of the 1x5 prescribed.For me the biggest challenge is getting enough sleep.My shift starts at 0530-1400 so i am up at 0330 in the morning,hence i try and hit the sack by 8:30PM but that is getting harder to do as summer approaches and longer hours of daylight,my off days are spent stretching and foam rolling which i hate/love not sure.

I have found that 3 sets across is plenty of stimuli for a guy your age. I don't think you would ever really need to do 5 sets across, especially with the weights you are using. 2 sets of deadlifts is not going to kill you, especially if they, and squats, are only being done once per week.