starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How fast is linear progression when you're 43?

Default How fast is linear progression when you're 43?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've just switched to SS Novice Program after two years with a trainer who taught me how to do some basic compound lifts. I started by dropping about 20% off my old PRs and switching over to Rip's way of doing the lifts (low bar squats below parallel, etc).

I'm loving SS, but the called-for rate of advance is very rapid - basically setting 3 new PRs a week in the squat. At my gym this means adding 2.5kg per session or 7.5kg per week. I have already had one reset (started at 80kg squat, stalled at 95kg), and based on perceived effort on doing these lifts I am going to be stalling at or just above the previous PR each time.

As I see it I have a few different options:
    1. stick with SS LP - do my best, drop 10% after each stall (I don't have a problem with this) and hope to stall at a higher point each time
    2. switch to fractional plates to add smaller amount per lift (I just bought some on the internets)
    3. tweak the program somehow, e.g. more rest days, longer rest between sets.

About me: 43yo male, 171cm tall, 66kg BW. Very light build.
    Lifts (5RM)
    Squat 92.5kg
    Bench 72.5kg
    Deadlift 120kg
    Press 37.5kg
    Power clean 40kg.

(The reason the press and powerclean are so low is I only started teaching myself these a few weeks ago. The other lifts are about in the middle of the Intermediate range in Lon Kilgore's age adjusted strength standards.)

Supplements: WPI, creatine, ZMA.
    Rest: 7hrs/night (as good as it gets - I'm used to 5).
    Food: thought I was eating maintenance + 500, but have dropped 1kg since starting. Now around 15% BF.

My goals are to reach the age-adjusted "Advanced" threshold in the 5 main lifts by Christmas.

You are between 5'7" and 5'8" and you weigh 145 pounds at a fairly low body fat. You are underweight, especially if you wish to become a strength athlete. Eat more. You may also want to put a light squat day in on Wednesdays, but at 43, you are hardly old.

Default Non-Linear Periodization

Quote Originally Posted by Baconista View Post
    I've just switched to SS Novice Program after two years with a trainer who taught me how to do some basic compound lifts. I started by dropping about 20% off my old PRs and switching over to Rip's way of doing the lifts (low bar squats below parallel, etc).

I'm loving SS, but the called-for rate of advance is very rapid - basically setting 3 new PRs a week in the squat. At my gym this means adding 2.5kg per session or 7.5kg per week. I have already had one reset (started at 80kg squat, stalled at 95kg), and based on perceived effort on doing these lifts I am going to be stalling at or just above the previous PR each time.

As I see it I have a few different options:
    1. stick with SS LP - do my best, drop 10% after each stall (I don't have a problem with this) and hope to stall at a higher point each time
    2. switch to fractional plates to add smaller amount per lift (I just bought some on the internets)
    3. tweak the program somehow, e.g. more rest days, longer rest between sets.

About me: 43yo male, 171cm tall, 66kg BW. Very light build.
    Lifts (5RM)
    Squat 92.5kg
    Bench 72.5kg
    Deadlift 120kg
    Press 37.5kg
    Power clean 40kg.

Anything Works for Novice Lifters

Initially, anything works for a novice lifter. However, over time you body adapts (General Adaptation Synrome/Hans Selye) and you will stop making progress.

Training Age

This has to do with how long you have been training. The longer you have been training the faster the body adapts to your training program and progress stops.

Linear Periodizaton

It works for novice lifters because of being new and having a young Training Age. Thus, they can make gains performing the same program for long period of time (Linear Periodization).

With that stated, I am not a big fan of Linear Periodization. I stopped training that way decades ago for a reason.

As you Training Age increases, you need to make changes more often.

Non-Linear Periodiztion Training

This method is based on more frequent changes in your program as a means of elicting a greater training effect. (ie increase in strength, power, speed, endurance, size, etc...depend on you objective).

How Often?

The definitive answer is when you stop making progress, you need to Change Something!

However, that amount thinking about putting a smoke alarm in your house after it has caught fire.

Why not put the smoke alarm in the house before it catches fire?

In other words, plan for more frequent changes to your program rather than waiting for you squat (whatever) to burn down to the ground...a drop of 20% of your PR is a Great Example.

Length of Non-Linear Training Program

The recommended changes are to make each training session different. Cross Fit's "Workout of the Day (WOD) is an example of this. It has it's place in training.

Another example is Vladimir Zatsiorsky (Science and Practice of Strength Training) recommendation of making changes every three weeks.

Personal Persepective

From my experience as a competitive powerlifter, staple movements such as squats, bench press, deadlift, etc need a Non-Linear Progression of 3 - 6 Weeks.

My Non-Linear Periodizaton Cycles are 3 weeks. Those with a lower Training Age will find changes of every 6 weeks effective.

Resetting/Recycling You Program

One of the biggest key to making progress is chaning you program up.

Those changes can be: Performing different exercise, sets, repetitions, rest periods, etc.

You can also Reset/Recycle by decreasing you training percentage/load. My recommendation is to drop it lower than 10% for the Reset/Recycle.

The purpose of the Reset/Recycle is to insure you allow you body to recover and become stronger.

Warm Up Sets/Warm Up Weeks

Each week need to be looked at as a Warm Up week for the next week. That means Warm Up Weeks are really no different than Warm Up Sets.

The objective of the Warm Up Weeks is to insure you are your strongest for you Final Top Set Week, where you hit a new Personal Record.

120 kg/5RM Example

Let's use a 3 Week Cycle as an example.

Week 1: 100 kg X 5 Reps (Your top set this week). Think of this as your first Warm Up.

Week 2: 110 kg X 5 Reps (This is your top set this week). Think of this as you last Warm Up before hitting your Personal 5RM Max.

Week 3: 122.5 -125 kg X 5 Plus Reps. (This is your Personal 5 RM Week). This is where you push for a Personal Record.

Week 4: This becomes Week 1 again, where you Reset/Recycle.

Training Weeks

The three week cycle is an example. Chose a Reset/Recycle Program of 3 - 6 Weeks for staple exericses.

Auxiliary Exercises

These are "Disposable Exercises". That means you can perform them in one training session and select a different exercize for the next session to perform.

Example

Week 1: Wide Grip Incline Bench Press

Week 2: Wide Grip Reverse Grip Bench Press

Week 3: Narrow Grip Bench Press

Same Muscle Groups

Each of the exercises above is similar in nature. They each work the same muscle groups but differently.

Ice Cream

Think of the Incline Press as Vanilla, Reverse Grip Bench Press as Chocolate and the Narrow Grip Bench Press as Strawberry.

They are all ice cream but different flavors.

Tom

As Tom noted, Gaining weight works!

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by Kenny Crox; 04-20-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Revision

I think you're right about eating more. I'm so used to being lean after years of cross training etc, this strength training stuff is a bit of a mind bender. The protein shakes seem to help - my body doesn't freak out as much as it does with the extra food.

It sure is rewarding when you increase your lifts, even from a low base.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I'm in my late 40's and have had very slow progress. My enthusiasm for lifting far outruns my ability to recover from workout to workout, unless I eat huge amounts and get fat(ter). Lately I've been doing a bit better, by dialing back on volume and supplementing with whey to get protein high w/o high calories.

Look to your recovery, that's what limits us. Get enough vitamin D and protein, get your T levels checked, improve your sleep. And if you are constantly sore dial back your volume to something within your recovery abilities.

Hah, this is all the advice I wish I could give to myself 2 years ago! It wouldn't have helped, though. I have to make every programming mistake personally before I really believe...

I'm 41 and can only say two things.

If progress stalls or slows down, eat more. Next once the weights get heavy you'll probably sleep more. Whe I'm working a pr 8 1/2 to 9 hours is pretty normal. Without lifting I'm lucky to get 7. I think protein synthesis uses so much energy that the body uses more sleep. Of course the improved endocrine system profiles resulting from lifting don't hurt either.

Don't try to cheat yor sleep requirements. I did this for awhile using increasing amounts of caffeine to get by thinking I was smart. One morning I woke up after six hours of sleep and couldn't move for an additional two hours. Literally my mind was saying yes and my body said forget it, you are not going anywhere.

Good luck.

Some very good advice here. Stick to the program till it doesn't work. Food helps you recover( it takes me an hour to consume dinners most evenings.)Sleep needs to be consistent and regular,. Extra hours on weekends and naps are awesome.
    Suntan when you can. A bit of photo exposure( along with plenty of fat and vitamin a and b's) improves my hormones and regular exposure and proper recovery to this day provide morning physical responses reminiscent of my teens. The dead of winter with no sun and a bit too much training and that goes away.

Thanks guys, some good suggestions. I have found that ZMA before bed is good for sleep but having a sick two year old is not.

I find it incredibly hard to eat more, even though my wife is a superb cook. Drinking wine during dinner stimulates the appetite, but too much is not good for sleep. Maybe I should take up toking

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

43 here. Im always struggling with my obesity, so "eating more" is not how I boost my performance. Good Sleep (magnesium, zinc, copper and Bcomplex) and lots of sun is how I seek to boost my recovery.

starting strength coach development program
    This all makes sense. Even when I was a kid I never needed much sleep, and if I ate high calorie foods like KFC or chocolate I would usually throw them up. No wonder I'm skinny.

Have resolved to start counting calories with My Fitness Pal, sleep more, tan and put ice cream in my protein shakes. If the linear progression still doesn't work, I'll try mixing up the programming as one of the earlier posters suggested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast