starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method Intensity Day Rep Variations

Default Texas Method Intensity Day Rep Variations

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Andy, thanks for taking the time to read/respond to this.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on rep schemes for Intensity Day when running the Texas Method, particularly on Squat & DL once sets of 5s have run their course. I've seen several differing opinions on what is best (2x3, 1x3, 1x2, pyramids/singles, etc), which leads me to concur it's pretty individualized and goal specific (general strength for me). I switched to 1x3 (sets x reps) for squat & DL on my last ID as I felt my form was starting to break down on my 5th rep the prior week.

Stats if you want them:
    32 yo male, 6'2", ~235 lbs at 18-20% BF
    Squat: VD 280 5x5, ID 330 1x3
    Bench: VD 215 5x5, ID 240 1x5
    OHP: VD 140 5x5, ID 160 1x4 (failed 5th, thinking of switching to 2x3)
    DL: 405 1x3
    PC: 200 7x2

Thanks

My thoughts:

5's: Should always be a part of any training program. Can be used for sets across on volume day. Can also be done as a 5rm on an intensity day. Can be used as back off sets after heavy singles.

3's: Also a good rep range to get you exposed to some slightly heavier weights if you have been using fives for a while. Triples always seem to die out quickly, so I have never had success using them over sustained periods of time (i.e. 8 weeks of triples on ID on the TM). Good for a few weeks of tapering after a long period of 5s or as part of a rotation with other rep ranges

1's. I love them. Singles across are always a good way to unstick a lift and expose the body to heavier weights. They do a good job of "making your sets of 5 feel lighter." Obviously max effort singles are the best way to test strength but should be used sparingly unless you are rotating exercises around.

8's: I'm playing with them right now as part of my regular programming for my primary lifts. They seem to be making my sets of 5 days much easier.

10-12: the range I typically use for assistance work for lats, triceps, etc. In combo with heavier work in the 1-5 range, they make you bigger. Good range for back off sets with the primary exercises.

I have to Ask as I'm also on the texas method. When you rotate through the rep ranges on intensity day (going from 1x5 to 1x4 to 1x3 2x2 to 3-5x1 to 1x1after you peak out with 1rm would you then try to go back to 5s and start the cycle over again? And at what point would you rotate in speed work? Sorry I'm having a tuff time comprehending intensity day! I tried your recommendation of doing 1x5 then 2x3 then 3x2 then singles but I found two all out sets of deadlifts was just too much for my back heh I pulled 475 for 2x3 then couldn't pull 480 once the next week.

Thank you very much. I think I'll stick with triples for a few weeks and transition to singles across.

On a side note - with these moderated forums where you guys have to approve comments, would you rather us just not reply if the comment doesn't add much (ie something like "thanks")?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    1's. I love them. Singles across are always a good way to unstick a lift and expose the body to heavier weights. They do a good job of "making your sets of 5 feel lighter." Obviously max effort singles are the best way to test strength but should be used sparingly unless you are rotating exercises around.
    Definitely this. My first run through rotating intensity days for squat, when my 5's ran out at 390, I switched to 2 sets of 3 up to 425, then 5 sets of 1, then 1 set of 1 up to 460. When I reset back to 390 for 5, I was able to take it up to 425x5, which was where I ended 2x3 last time. Doing so many weeks of singles just made going back to the sets of 5 feel so much easier. At least until I got up to the 415x5 range, then sets of 5 felt heavy again... Completed 430 for 2 sets of 3 last week, I'm anxious to see how far I can take it this time.

We typically don't recommend multiple heavy sets with the deadlifts on this type of program. That should have been clarified sooner. Apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandin138 View Post
    Thank you very much. I think I'll stick with triples for a few weeks and transition to singles across.

On a side note - with these moderated forums where you guys have to approve comments, would you rather us just not reply if the comment doesn't add much (ie something like "thanks")?
    Its not a huge deal. Doesn't take much time to approve, and is actually more of a pain in the ass to delete than approve.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    We typically don't recommend multiple heavy sets with the deadlifts on this type of program. That should have been clarified sooner. Apologies.
    Hi Andy - thanks for the clarification. I take it then that heavy singles for deadlifts are a no-no, and that triples and fives (and possibly doubles) are the way to go? are there better ways to get deadlifts unstuck (assistance work) than altering rep ranges/intensity like the other lifts?

Quote Originally Posted by stronger View Post
    Hi Andy - thanks for the clarification. I take it then that heavy singles for deadlifts are a no-no, and that triples and fives (and possibly doubles) are the way to go? are there better ways to get deadlifts unstuck (assistance work) than altering rep ranges/intensity like the other lifts?
    I like to use Stiff Legs and Deficit Deadlifts as back off work for the deadlift to add volume. This strategy has always worked better for me than multiple deadlift sets. Rack Pull or block pulls could also be used (these are the same exercise, its just a matter of setting the bar on pins or up on mats/blocks).

For instance, you could set up a rotation that looked like this if you wanted some variety in your programming:

Week 1: Deadlift 1 x 5, Stiff Leg Deadlift 2 x 5
    Week 2: Deadlift 1 x 3, Deficit Deadlift 1 x 5
    Week 3: Deadlift 1 x 1, Block Pull 1 x 5

starting strength coach development program
    Ok great. I will try to incorporate these exercises (and perhaps shrugs) as back off work. The great thing about modulating the intensity and rep range is that you have options to fix it. It's pretty maddening trying to push through the same wall with the same tools, as I've found. Thanks for the creative approach