starting strength gym

Thread: Thanks to Rip? Yep! One More Time!

Default Thanks to Rip? Yep! One More Time!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What is this, the 3rd or the 4th thank you? Oh Hell, who cares. Fifty wouldn't do the gratitude I feel sufficient justice.

I went to the Santa Barbara Open Saturday and managed (barely) not to entirely disgrace myself. I DID have a great time and meet a bunch of great people both as lifters and officialdom.

Squat: 275-nailed it with 3 white lights. 315-lacked depth from fear, 3 red lights. Dug deep and went deep and got 315 with 3 white lights on the 3rd attempt no problem. Not the 335 I had hoped for, but DONE.

Bench Press: 225-anticipated command to "rack" and got redlighted. Decided "screw that" and tried for 250 and narrow gripped bar and was getting tired at around 6:30 pm and didn't even hit the sticking point. Utter failure, and nowhere to go. Repeated 250 for 3rd attempt and put my "brain" in an adrenaline coma for 60 seconds. Fear of being DQ'd for 3 misses focuses things quite wonderfully, to paraphrase a famous lexicographer. THE hardest effort I have made in an athletic endeavor in over 40 years. Not so much hard in terms of effort, although that was hard enough, but in terms of getting everything behind the need to make the effort successful. And so I did, lock out 250. Which seems silly given my ease in doing so in the gym.

Deadlift: 375-piece of cake. 405-same thing, although both times the bar came out from my shins. 435-no go. This would have been a PR for me, and I might have done it with better attempt weight selection in 1 and 2. Along with better discipline with my form. More work on that is required.

TOTAL: 970. I was hoping for 1040, but this was a learning experience. The next meet in Medford, OR, will go even better.

I got a show-up medal for first place in my age and weight class. I was the only one IN my age or weight class, but 80% of success is just showing up. So I'll take it. It will look good next to my judo and shooting trophies along with my collection of jujitsu belts as I advanced up the ranks.

None of this would have happened had I not found this oasis surrounded by a desert of blathering iron lunacies. Thank you for getting me on the right path.

Hurling, up off his ass! Excellent job, my friend.

Great job, Mark!

I recall reading a post by you when you first deadlifted 405 and now it's a piece of cake. I'm inspired Hurling. Thanks for posting this!

Thanks Rip, and thanks to you and Steve too, Brian.

But Mein Gott! David Hasselhoff? Although I did own a Firebird in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    What is this, the 3rd or the 4th thank you? Oh Hell, who cares. Fifty wouldn't do the gratitude I feel sufficient justice.

I went to the Santa Barbara Open Saturday and managed (barely) not to entirely disgrace myself. I DID have a great time and meet a bunch of great people both as lifters and officialdom.

Squat: 275-nailed it with 3 white lights. 315-lacked depth from fear, 3 red lights. Dug deep and went deep and got 315 with 3 white lights on the 3rd attempt no problem. Not the 335 I had hoped for, but DONE.

Bench Press: 225-anticipated command to "rack" and got redlighted. Decided "screw that" and tried for 250 and narrow gripped bar and was getting tired at around 6:30 pm and didn't even hit the sticking point. Utter failure, and nowhere to go. Repeated 250 for 3rd attempt and put my "brain" in an adrenaline coma for 60 seconds. Fear of being DQ'd for 3 misses focuses things quite wonderfully, to paraphrase a famous lexicographer. THE hardest effort I have made in an athletic endeavor in over 40 years. Not so much hard in terms of effort, although that was hard enough, but in terms of getting everything behind the need to make the effort successful. And so I did, lock out 250. Which seems silly given my ease in doing so in the gym.

Deadlift: 375-piece of cake. 405-same thing, although both times the bar came out from my shins. 435-no go. This would have been a PR for me, and I might have done it with better attempt weight selection in 1 and 2. Along with better discipline with my form. More work on that is required.

TOTAL: 970. I was hoping for 1040, but this was a learning experience. The next meet in Medford, OR, will go even better.

I got a show-up medal for first place in my age and weight class. I was the only one IN my age or weight class, but 80% of success is just showing up. So I'll take it. It will look good next to my judo and shooting trophies along with my collection of jujitsu belts as I advanced up the ranks.

None of this would have happened had I not found this oasis surrounded by a desert of blathering iron lunacies. Thank you for getting me on the right path.
    Nice weights for an old coot. Congrats.

starting strength coach development program
    Daaang! I just checked in at the USPA state and American records and I am listed on both. Not bad, considering that up to now I figured like many I had peaked in high school having achieved an honorable mention as Will-Ro-Kee All Conference in football and second place in mens baritone solos in singing. Sometimes the best gets saved for last. So I have the records for 60-65 years old raw in the 275 weight class.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...1E&output=html
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...kE&output=html

Thanks again once more Rip, Ryan, stef, Tom, Steve, and julie for getting me squared away on all my lifts. But especially for the powerlifts. WFAC trainer of champions!