starting strength gym

Thread: Combining the Texas Method

Default Combining the Texas Method

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear athletes and coaches,
    first I'd like to apologize for my English. (I'm from Germany)
    After a while training with no or a bad program (wasting my novice stage I think) I can't make progress the simple way from workout to workout.
    I read Practical Programming and have sympathy for the Texas method, but only want to progress in the Squat with this method:

Monday
    Back Squat 5x5

Wednesday
    Front Squat 3x3

Friday
    5RM

Is it usefull to progress in the Press, the Bench and Deadlift in a different way:

Monday
    Bench 5x5

Wednesday
    Press 5x5

and for hypertrophy

Friday
    Bench 5x10

Sunday
    Press 5x10

The Deadlift (1x5) would take place on the Front Squat day alternating with Power Cleans (5x3). Assistance exercise would be chins, pull ups, famers walk and so on.

I want to gain strength and mass, thats why I choose 2 high volume/ low intensity workouts.

About me:
    6' 180 lbs
    Squat 290
    Deadlift 350
    Power Clean 175
    Bench 210
    Press 145

Thanks a lot for your review!

Just take out the light recovery day

Mon - Bench - 3-5x5, Press 2-3x10-12
    Tues -Squat 5x5, Power Cleans 3 x 3

Thurs - Press 3-5x5, Dips 3 x 10-12
    Friday - Squat 1x3-5, Deadlifts 1x3-5

Something like this

Thanks for your reply!
    So a classic split routine would work better for me then squatting every workout?
    Maybe deadlifting every week is too much stress. I made my biggest progress in the deadlift (about 70 lbs in just 3 months) while working at moderate intensity and a higher volume combined with farmers walk. Should I reduce the frequency of deadlifting at high
    intensity or just take 90% of the 1/2/3 or 5RM (like for Wendlers 5/3/1)?

Can't guarantee that it will work better, but when given the choice between simple and complex programming, I always like simple.

Deadlifting frequency seems to be kinda individual at the intermediate and advanced levels. Although, I do think you need to pull heavy somewhat often or you "forget" how to strain through heavy weights.

My program right now has me alternating between 8's, 5's, and 2's each week and it allows me to deadlift "heavy" each week, albeit at different rep ranges so that the stress on my body is varied week to week. This is what is important to avoid stagnation. Its the same reason Westside rotates exercises.

Whether it is exercises or rep ranges, you need some variation week to week at the intermediate/advanced stages.

Default Deadlift

Alternating the Deadlift sounds better to me then doing week by week 1x5.
    I have since 3 weeks some lower back pain. Sadly I don't listen to the signals my body sent me and lifted heavy anyway. Maybe it's better to take 1 or even 2 weeks off of the Deadlift (and Power Clean).

Are Speed sets a commendable method to (effort) sets of 2,5 an 8 reps? Especially because I made big progression while lifting sub maximal.

I think speed sets can work in the right context. But lifting for speed is different than a heavy set of 8,5, or 2.

Last question on deadlifting. Would the body forget how to lift heavy if I deadlift only every second week alternating with Speed sets. I know that this is an individual question.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Marlow View Post
    Last question on deadlifting. Would the body forget how to lift heavy if I deadlift only every second week alternating with Speed sets. I know that this is an individual question.
    I think that would be fine.