starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mexican Muscle- Fuerza's Log

Post Mexican Muscle- Fuerza's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Everyone,
    I'm a 30 year old man, 5'9" 192lbs. I am a novice lifter, having started a few different plans before SS. I initially started a bodyweight split at home and I didn't really understand what I was doing but I got hooked on weightlifting. I joined the least expensive gym around southern California (fitness 19) that was equipped with a squat rack and bench press because I read about the importance of the Squat in any program.

I combined Medhi's SL with the technique I saw on SS dvd for a few months. I didn't buy the SS:3 book till 5/3/13.

1/8/13 @ 179lbs BW
    Squat 95 5x5 All lifts were 5x5 except the deadlift which was 3x5
    B. Press 85
    Press 45
    DL 135
    BB/T Row 65

5/3/13 @190lbs BW
    Squat 225
    B. Press 155
    Press 100
    DL 225
    BB/T Row 145
    I felt my form was sloppy through out the progression. The video was good but I don't think I hit a deep enough squat or had a vertical bar path in all my lifts. I had a lot of low back pain/fatigue and experienced a shoulder sprain in the anterior deltoid during those months. I also didn't increase weights linearly every session. I also did a few chin-ups and dips here and there, I want to do it right from now on.

Now that I have SS:3 I have started over with my linear program.

5/8/13 working weights 3X5
    Squat 165
    Press 75
    Dead lift 135 1X5

5/10/13 ww 3X5
    Squat 185
    B. Press 145
    back extension 3X10 bodyweight
    Chinups 10/6/6/5
    I should have alternated the power clean today instead of the back ext/chin up but my gym doesn't provide bumper plates. I'm going to have to shell out $30 for a 10lb pair and another $40 for a used barbell so I can practice in my garage. I can practice with an empty bar at my gym till then.

I also started using proper weight lifting shoes on 5/10/13. I had used converse One Star's before I got my hands on Adidas Power lift Trainer's. It's a big difference, I felt unsteady walking the weight out but solid during the squat. Hopefully i can get a form check video up within the next two weeks.

Adios amigos!
    Last edited by Fuerza; 05-12-2013 at 12:19 AM.

5/12/13

Squat
    3x5 45#
    3x5 135#
    1x3 165#
    1x3 185#
    3x5 225#
    1x5 135 #
    Before the squat I went down on the ground on my belly and did 10 thigh/leg raises to feel my lower back contract so i would know which muscles to keep tight during the squat. It felt solid on the lighter lifts but later I felt my lower back relax on a few reps between 185#-225#. On a few other reps i really felt my groin produce some of that bounce and hip drive out of the hole. The back off set was to reinforce my form and remind me to keep my upper and lower back tight. I was tired after my work sets and don't know how much that back off set helped.

Overhead Press
    2x5 45#
    1x5 65
    1x5 85
    3x5 95
    i focused on keep the baron the fatty part of my thumb/hand. i drew a blank when I tried to remember the lesson on the SS dvd. I just tried to get under the bar after the
    press and keep it over my shoulders. reduce moment in forearm and wrist.
    DeadLift
    2x5 135#
    1x5 165
    1x3 185
    1x3 225
    1x5 245
    i felt like i pulled the bar up with my lower back, using muscles around the lumbar. i also brain farted on remembering the SS dvd pointers when this lift came up. I hit the basics though. Set up over the middle of foot. Dropped the shins to bar, raised the chest, deep breath, pulled and dragged it up my legs. I don't think the bar had a completely vertical bar path. I felt it traveled around my knees in an arc. the work set was tough. I had to take a breather on my last rep and the pull up was extremely slow.

5/13/13 I got a lot of sleep and ate good, not really clean but a whole lot of bbq pork and processed carbs. Avocado, cucumber, a few tortillas, bread, etc. I fast two days out of the week, usually a 24 hour fast. So ill eat again tomorrow 5/14/13 at 6pm. Between now and then I'll drink water 4+ liters and a couple cups of unsweetened green tea or black coffee. I also take 5g of creatine a day when I remember to.

5/14/13

Squat 230 3x5
    Bench Press 155 3x5
    Back Extension 3x10 @ bodyweight
    Pullup 5x5 last set used a green band

The squat felt ok but I felt a lot of strain in my lower back. My bro said my hips didn't go to parallel or below my knee cap. I had 10g of bcaa's pre-workout with a caffeine capsule. I trained fasted, I couldn't tell a difference. Ate a large meal after, shrimp ceviche, veggies and cheese, a sweet potato, three tostadas. Shredded bbq pork. Two scoops of ice cream and 5g of creatine.

No Power cleans again. I am considering buying a barbell to practice that lift in my garage. I'm making excuses but my gym is kinda crowded, a lot of local Highschoolers clog up a lot of the space. Throwing around a barbell with no bumpers doesn't sound like a good idea. I'm torn between three different bars. A rogue beater bar http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-beater-bar.php a rogue mens Econ http://www.roguefitness.com/mens-economy-bar.php or the One barbell to rule them all http://www.roguefitness.com/burgener...-men-s-bar.php I'm open to suggestions though. i have researched my options. It's just this is going to be my first barbell, I don't plan on getting a squat stand or rack so center knurls aren't a big deal, just something for the power clean and snatch.
    Last edited by Fuerza; 05-14-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Good luck with your training. Investing in a bar sounds like a good idea.

Thanks alot, Aleli.
    5/18/13
    I took a few extra days off then I normally would because of life getting in the way of training but I expected to hit the weights hard on this session. I did a few low back/sciatica stretches and a psoas stretch a few hours before my workout because I felt tightness in the lumbar region of my back. The stretches felt good but the workout didn't go so great.
    I couldn't maintain lumbar extension in my work sets and had to back off after 1 set. The pain in the lumbar region or more specifically in the thoracolumbar fascia kept me from being to focus on the press and squashed all hopes of doing a heavy deadlift. It might have been the erector spinae muscles that were to blame, it feels like the discomfort is right under the fascia. Another symptom I've noticed is that I get a spasm in the same area when I sneeze.

Squat
    45x5x3
    95x5
    135x5
    185x3 I felt the tightness interfere with lumbar extension.
    205x3 Discomfort in the erector spinae muscles
    235x5x1 lower back rounding in most of these reps. I had to put in extra effort to overcome a bar that had moved forward of the middle of my foot.
    225x5 discomfort still present
    135x5 practiced holding my lumbar in extension

Press
    45x5x3
    75x5
    100x5x3
    I adjusted my grip on the bar to put it over the forearm and I referenced page 81-83 in ss:3 as best I could from memory. I had a little bit of pain the crook of my elbow after this grip adjustment so I must have done it wrong, another reason I want a barbell to practice with. The new grip plus the discomfort in the lumbar made these sets harder than they should have been.
    Deadlift
    135x5x2
    I locked in my stance, feet about a foot apart, toes out, pushed my knees apart slightly and the bar an inch away from my shins. After grabbing the bar and dropping my shins I would squeeze my chest up and try to set my spine from the top down. I felt resistance from the hamstrings which I usually don't feel, I take it that hamstring resistance is a good thing in the DL. The lifts felt ok but I didn't increase the weight, because my lumbar area still felt sensitive.

I'm going to reset my squat weight on Monday and work on keeping the lumbar in extension through a deep (parallel) squat. I also have a problem with my right knee caving in on the way out of the hole that I have to correct.

5/20/2013

Lumbar was still sore, it felt like doms in my lower back. Stretching felt good. I did some psoas and hip stretches a few hours before my workout. I went in with the intention of going moderate but I ran into a friend who gave me some advice about my stance and hip drive. He practices power lifting and follows Wendler's 5/3/1 Program and Kelly Starrett mobilitywod. He gave me some info and a few more stretches I could do after my workout. He coached me through my squat, que'd me to keep my head/neck in a neutral postition (it drops forward and down when I stare at the ground). He also said I hit parallel and actually go beyond- maybe that is the cause of the sudden slack I feel in my lower back/hip at the bottom of the squat. Overall i just checked my form and talked with friends a lot this session. I came to the realization I have to rehab this lumbar sprain before I try to progress.
    Squat
    45x5xmany sets
    145x5x3
    Bench press i got some pointers from friends, i felt this workout was all over the place
    95x10
    115x5x2
    155x5
    135x5
    115x5
    Back Extension 3x10 @ body weight
    Chin ups 5x5 @ body weight
    Last edited by Fuerza; 05-25-2013 at 01:57 PM.

5/23/13
    started the starr rehab program for my lumbar/spinae erector soreness
    squat
    3x25 @ 45lbs felt ok, these sets taxed my cardiovascular system. I don't run or jog.
    O. Press
    checked my grip and technique, I don't know If i should keep linearly progress with weight on this lift while I do the Starr rehab.
    3x5x65lbs

Power clean
    Checked technique, practiced
    5x3x55lbs
    Pull up
    5x5
    40 pushups
    20 min bike ride
    foam roll+stretch

5/24/13
    Starr Rehab
    Squat
    45x25
    55x25x2
    Power Clean
    45x5x3
    55x5x3
    Practiced, didn't go heavy but I really like this lift. So much that I'm getting a Cap ob-86b and some economic 25# bumper plates. I'll also fab some technique wood plates out of pine rounds from home depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-x-17-3-...1#.UaEcSkCfhlo
    I ran at the park and man I have ZERO cardiovascular endurance. My hips really opened up though, stretched in a new way, it felt uncomfortable then good.
    Ice and rest

5/25/13
    Starr rehab
    Squat
    45x25
    55x25
    65x25
    These squats felt excellent, especially my 55# set. I hit great depth, kept everything tight and had a good rythm going for me.

Bench Press
    My last working weight set was 155 for 5 reps and 3 sets. I'm going to work my way up to this and check my form, etc
    45x5x2
    95x5x2
    135x5x2
    140x5
    145x5x3

Back extensions 3x10 @ bodyweight
    Chin ups, sets of 5 then negatives in sets of 3
    Some jogging/running
    Ice
    Last edited by Fuerza; 05-26-2013 at 03:37 AM.

5/27/13
    Squat
    55x25
    65x25
    75x25
    Overall the squats felt great, I feel a lot more flexible warming up with a 55-65 lb barbell than a 45. i achieve better hamstring stretch and hit a lower depth.
    Press
    worked up till 95x5x3
    I'm picking up slightly below of were I left off before the starr rehab. I don't think the load is heavy enough to impede my recovery.
    Power Clean
    70x3x5
    A lot more practice is needed before i increase the weight. I hit myself in the chin once and my elbows were dropping on my last work sets.

5/28/13
    Squat
    65x25
    75x25
    85x25

Bench press
    150x5x3
    Back extension
    3x10 bodyweight
    Chin ups 5x8 body weight

5/29
    Squat
    75x25
    85x25
    95x25

6/1/13
    Squat
    85x25
    95x25
    105x25
    My hamstrings are still sore where they attach to my hips. The soreness didn't keep me from squatting. I feel the squat strain a muscle in my lumbar region on the first rep, but it doesn't hurt on the next 24 reps. Weird. These sets were a little sloppy but I hit good depth. My gut wasn't as tight as it could have been, i felt I would tighten it after my hips would break. I'll remember to tighten everything up before I squat and keep it tight next time. Keeping my back tight between reps is another problem I see developing. I noticed my head was in a bad position even though I was starring at the floor 4ft in front of me.

Press 100x5x3
    they felt really heavy and awkward overhead. the bar did not travel in a vertical bar path, i'm reviewing the dvd before my next press.

Deadlift
    135x5x3
    practiced getting into position without aggravating the pulled muscle in my lumbar.
    Last edited by Fuerza; 06-01-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: post workout

Starr rehab
    Squat
    95x25
    105x25
    115x25
    I feel the strain during the initial unlocking of my hips and knees beginning the squat. Hesitation causes this sharp pain that last 1/4 of the way down then goes away. It doesn't return after I get in the rhythm of the next 24 reps, weird.
    115x25 really taxed my form so I think I'll drop my reps to 20 and keep increasing weight by 10lbs until I feel I can't manage it.

starting strength coach development program
    6/4/13
    Starr rehab
    Squat
    105x20
    115x20
    125x20
    Bench Press
    155x5x3
    Chinups about 40 with a band
    back extensions 3x10 bodyweight+5lbs plate

I found a comfortable stance for the squat that alleviated the spasms in my lumbar from a 7 pt pain scale down to a 2.5pt pain scale. I set up in my normal squat stance but on my descent I sit down and back quickly. I get a good range of motion and deep, maybe too deep but the spasm doesn't trigger. normally I squat by focusing on bending my hips and knees at the same time on my way down, it causes alot of pain "thinking" about the descent. Now I just take a deep breathe and drop into the hole quickly and with a bit more power for the rebound out of it.

6/6/13
    Starr rehab
    Squat
    115x20
    125x20
    135x20

Press
    105x5x3

Power Clean
    75x3x5
    Practiced more technique, i have to remember to keep straight elbows and not "row" the barbell up. Also to squeeze my elbows together and up in the rack posistion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast