starting strength gym

Thread: Beginning Starting Strength after 16 months of "strength training".

Default Beginning Starting Strength after 16 months of "strength training".

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I was previously a fool, and I was doing a routine that was based on Starting Strength, in that it was mainly focused on the Squat, Press, Bench Press, and Deadlift. I did not read the book, however, and I got all of my information from people who claimed to be doing the program. This resulted in doing several useless assistance exercises that only served to make me look better, and did not contribute to gaining strength. I finally read the book after getting PFS from less than perfect squat form.

I am 20 years old, 6'0", 205 lbs, and these are my stats after 16 months.

Squat: 305 (5RM), 375 (1RM)
    Press: 140 (5RM), 165 (1RM)
    Deadlift: 335 (5RM), 455 (1RM)
    Bench Press: 200 (5RM), 235 (1RM)

My question is, would I benefit from doing the novice program after 16 months of "training", since I never did it in the first place? I apologize if my format is bad, this is my first post.

I would start the novice program with about 80-90% of what your 5RMs are. This will give your body time to adapt to the program and within a few weeks your 3x5 numbers should be higher than your 5RM numbers. Now, having been exposed to a similar training stimulus to SS, you will likely run the course of your LP faster than someone who is coming into the program unexposed to this type of training.

Thank you, Andy.

I just ordered Practical Programming for Strength Training about 10 minutes before that post, and I just wanted a little bit of guidance before it comes in the mail.

Cheers.