starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift stalling on TM

Default Deadlift stalling on TM

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

I just finished my 3rd week of TM, after a long run with SS. My deadlift seems to be stalling/regressing.

Current stats:
    male, 41 years, 220-230lbs
    Squat 335x5
    Deadlift 370x5, 405x1
    Bench 250x5
    Press 172.5x5

DL @ 370lbs for the past 3 weeks: 5 reps 3 weeks ago (wasn't totally satisfied with form on the last rep, so I thought I'd repeat), 2 reps the following week, and 4 reps today.

I've gone through all of the deadlift related posts looking for an answer, but I'm still not sure where to go from here. It seems you recommend alternating 5/3/1 reps on a weekly basis for some trainees. I also saw that you recommended alternating 8/5/3 reps (I think) as well for some.

I'm wondering if deadlifting once a week is getting too much for me to recover from. This week I'm starting to take an extra rest day when I need it.

I really want to get to the 300/400/500 benchmarks....someday

Thanks

I do like alternating rep ranges on the DL day. Try this though for now. Try to pull a single every week for about the next 8-10 weeks or so. Next week, pull 380x1. Then just add 5 lbs per week for as long as possible. That should take you up to around 425 or so if you make it all the way. Then go back and try and pull 375x5. Then start your alternating scheme of 5/3/1. Will wind up around 375x5, 400x3, 425-430x1.

Thank you for your insight Andy. I very much appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    I do like alternating rep ranges on the DL day. Try this though for now. Try to pull a single every week for about the next 8-10 weeks or so. Next week, pull 380x1. Then just add 5 lbs per week for as long as possible. That should take you up to around 425 or so if you make it all the way. Then go back and try and pull 375x5. Then start your alternating scheme of 5/3/1. Will wind up around 375x5, 400x3, 425-430x1.
    In this example do you mean to say a single set of 1? Do you think the trainee should do a back off set to keep make up for the lower volume?

Quote Originally Posted by Bayn View Post
    In this example do you mean to say a single set of 1? Do you think the trainee should do a back off set to keep make up for the lower volume?
    Yes, a single set of one. If he is overtrained a bit, then no, I would not advise a back off set. The purpose of the switch to singles is to raise weight on the bar but also to dissipate fatigue. Adding the back off adds fatigue. That being said, I don't know if he is overtrained or not. Either way he will still get a run of progress based on this really easy system. The more overtrained he is now, the longer run of progress he will get. If he isn't overtrained he'll stall in 3-4 weeks.

I actually am a little concerned that I'm am slightly overtrained with respect to the deadlift. Things were going well for a while, but not so much the last couple of weeks.

Given that I was struggling with 370 for 5, should I be going to 380 or starting out at 375 (just want to make sure it wasn't a typo). Not that an extra 5lbs will make a significant difference.

A buddy of mine that programs via the Cube method, suggested alternating weeks of higher rep/speed work, with heavy reps, and that going heavy every week was leading to overtraining. Should this be something to consider after running with the singles, then the 5/3/1? Maybe eventually go to some moderate weight/higher reps, and alternate with singles/doubles/triples?

starting strength coach development program
    Hard to say for sure. Just try this for now and see what happens. Start at 375.