starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stay with 5/3/1 or do more like SS (3x5)

Default Stay with 5/3/1 or do more like SS (3x5)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy!

I'm male 40 years old, weight about 198lbs, length 6feet 2inches. I've been weight-training since january 2011.

My currently best lifts are:
    Dead: 308x5
    Press:143x3
    Bench: 210x3 (went from 198x3 after 3 weeks of Smolov Jr - added volume after your Advice)
    Squat: 176x5 (haven't been doing squats so long due to ruptured ligaments in the knee)

I've been doing 5/3/1 (with 3-5 assistance excercises per workout)

Do You think I'll make more progress on 5/3/1 or a more volume program like SS or SL5x5? Whats the general advice for a rather "newbie" lifter?

Cheers!

If you can do the SS program you should. Especially for that squat. I'd be doing 3 days per week until your body says that you cant anymore. If you get your squat up to say 315x5 then your other lifts will start going up too.

Hi Andy,

thanx for quick reply! What kind of numbers would You say would be a good starting point for the SS program?

Cheers!

Not knowing a whole lot about you or your training I would say this:

Squat 3 x 5 x 155
    Bench 3 x 5 x 185
    Dead 1 x 5 x 295
    Press 3 x 5 x 125

This is a little conservative but gives you the ability to adapt to the new program with increased volume and frequency

Thanx, I'll start with that. Throw in some accessory work, like Dips, Chins, Triceps extensions and maybe some rows.

Cheers!

This will make it not the SS program. I would highly suggest that you focus on just the exercises in the program. You can add the chins, but the rows, dips, and tricep stuff is not necessary and may in fact hinder your progress on the main lifts.

another option if you like doing max rep sets: http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-for-a-beginner/

I'm sure it works fine, but I don't really like % based programs for beginners.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    This will make it not the SS program. I would highly suggest that you focus on just the exercises in the program. You can add the chins, but the rows, dips, and tricep stuff is not necessary and may in fact hinder your progress on the main lifts.
    ...something weird happened when I saved, so maybe I post double (sorry if that is the case)...

I'll follow the SS program more strict (just worried it's to "little" BUT then again, perhaps it's all the accessory work that "stopped" me from progressing more...)

Thanx for all the support!

starting strength coach development program
    Its enough. I promise. Turn your brain off and just do the program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast