starting strength gym

Thread: when to switch to power clean/required?

Default when to switch to power clean/required?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    In SS 3rd:ed I remember the phrasing was when your deadlift is far ahead of your squat then start power cleaning.

How far ahead does it need to be? My squat is 200 and my deadlift is 255. My butt is the only part that seems to stay tired between workouts but it hasnt notably stopped me from completing my deadlifts. (haven't failed a deadlift yet)

My friend has my book at the moment (spreading the word) otherwise I would quote the passage.

thanks

215lb 6 weeks in.

The larger point is that if you have a very weak deadlift it is really better to just deadlift more often to get the weights up there. At this early novice stage, you can get away with deadlifting at just about every workout AND adding 10-20 lbs per workout. At this point your cleans are going up too, even though you aren't cleaning. Once you can't deadlift at every workout anymore then its time to alternate cleans in. This early novice stage is generally only a few weeks. If you are six weeks in, you probably are ready to start cleaning.