starting strength gym

Thread: Railway sleepers, bathtubs and concrete mix.

Default Railway sleepers, bathtubs and concrete mix.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is more of an observation than a question. Most people I have seen lift heavy loads use their back (as I observed the other day) as a lever, consequently these folk end up with back injuries.

If there is one thing I have learned from your training manual is how to lift correctly. Weightlifting more specifically barbell training apart from just lifting weight on a barbell in a gym has implications for lifting awkward and asymmetrical loads outside.

Bags of concrete mix here have a mass of 20Kgs, they use to be about 40Kgs however people were breaking their backs and due to OH&S now they are 20Kgs because the majority of folk do not know how to lift correctly. Any object that is more than 20Kgs has to have a warning sign on it.

There are two parts (there are others)I take out of the training, increased strength and lift technique, both of which are essential for injury prevention for lifting any heavy object from the floor, the table, overhead or to the ground.

I removed a railway sleeper from a garden bed the other day about 60Kgs (an awkward lift with no hand holds), I got into a squat position put my hands under and lifted it up like a Scot with a caber and threw it onto the pile with the rest. I moved numerous bags of concrete mix from truck to ground and squatted down with the load. The bathtub about 90 plus kgs, same thing squatted down and lifted it up somewhat like a deadlift. This is all boring crap I know, what I am saying is even though these are light loads lifted incorrectly will cause back injuries.

These are extensions or outcomes from barbell training.

So Mark whether you realise or not (I am sure you do) your training goes much further than just the gym, so again I want to say as I have done before thanks.

We have a project on the back burner regarding this material.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We have a project on the back burner regarding this material.
    Starting Gardening?

I will jump on this thank wagon. I work in a hardware store and I have to lift god knows how many bags of concrete a day as well as just about any other odd shaped thing including railroad ties.

The difference in my ability to move heavy shit has improved beyond anything I would have thought. I have been doing this for almost ten years and I bought the SS book a year ago. Nothing at my job is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by master_gamgee View Post
    Starting Gardening?
    Yep, he has got "Pimp My Gym" to come round and do some landscaping out the front with those little gnomes and add more of those wind spinners and a new paint job and a new sound system and............it's just wild!

What is the mass of those concrete mix bags? If you move them about all day off the pallet onto the shelves say at 20Kgs a bag and each pallet has a tonne thats 50 bags and you have 10 pallets to unload you have moved 10 tonne. Not a bad days lifting and you are getting paid for it.

starting strength coach development program
    I've noticed that too. When I pickup concrete bags, hay bales, lumber, et al, I now position my body before I grab the object, next comes tension (getting tight) and then I move. The first couple of times it happened I didn't notice until my mother said, "you look like you're trying to lift weights." Also, far fewer injuries from clearing over grown fields, etc.