Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 637.5@98.7

Default 637.5@98.7

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    old log here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=37900

Weight: ~223lbs
    Training History: ~21 months, 1st SS, then 531, then Westside, now Tom Method

Most Recent Meet:

Squat: 484/518/551(PR)
    Bench: 275/308/320(PR)
    Deadlift: 468/501/535(PR)

All of my all-time PRs occurred in this meet. Those are all my best lifts ever at any weight.

Next Meet:
    ??? Undecided, I'm at LEAST 6 months out though. Don't believe in frequent meets.

Goals for next meet:
    600+/365+/600+ @ 198

Plan to reach these goals:
    Diet wise, I'm going to drop to about 200-205lbs fully carbed up over the next three to four months. I'll use my version of Carb Nite. From there, I'm going to bulk back up to about 210 ~4 weeks out. I'd then like to gain weight up to about 215 headed into the meet. I'll do all of this just manipulating days when I eat carbs. From there, I'd like to do a legit water cut and compete at 198.

Here's my program:

+ means the last set is repped out
    r means the sets are ramped to a top set

I have certain rep ranges that I'm trying to stay in on all the lifts. If I exceed those rep ranges, I'll take way bigger jumps than the conservative ones I have planned. This adds an element of autoregulation which I consider essential.

The set-up is essentially a split version of TM with a volume/intensity component. This has always worked best for me in the past. That said, you can see that I've kept a large number of Westside elements that I feel were very important to my great progress over the past three months. While I'm cutting the volume will be a bit lowish, I'll be adding a lot more, mostly in the form of bodybuilding style assistance, as I start eating again after this diet phase.

The thrust of this programming is designed to treat a very serious medical condition I have contracted called "noassatall". My sumo deadlift suffers greatly as a result of my condition and this needs to be addressed immediately. For whatever reason, I actually stall at lockout on my sumo pulls. I think if I can fix this, I will be able to pull A LOT more. In general, my pull has always sucked and my squat has always been pretty good. I don't have a squatters body so I am going to blame trying to stick with pulling conventional and Rip/Starresque programming that emphasizes the squat. I'm going to prioritize the sumo deadlift throughout this training cycle. I really believe I can add 100lbs to my total by mastering sumo pulling. I'm built to pull sumo: longish arms, longish femurs, and a short back. The same things that make me a good wide stance squatter, combined with my arm length, are going to make me a good sumo puller. Count on it. If I start missing sumo pulls off the ground, I'll switch out Dimels and TnG Sumo for things that help off the ground. But the focus is sumo.

In terms of upperbody, I've just kept the stuff that I know really, really helped. I may eventually make that Wednesday session more specific to my weaknesses. I may just make it more specific anyways if it doesn't work well. I really like dips because I think they make me grow WAY better than benching with my crazy ass arch (ditto for DBs). Getting bigger was the #1 reason I added so much to my bench. But anyways, that is what I'm looking for in terms of upperbody stuff.

Justin is not really going to be at the gym a lot this summer and Josh has decided to do Sheiko. So, I'm going to be doing a lot of my own thing. It is going to be highly structured and organized unlike what I did in this meet lead up. That's just my personality. I'm going to be very reticent to use a million variations. I want things to be a bit more methodical and intentional.

I'll begin the prep period for CNS next week. As for training, I'll be going to the gym tomorrow for my first training session after the meet. Will probably be doing 250x5,5,5+. Friday, I'll either pull 405 or 455 for reps. Depends how my back feels. If it is still sore when I wake up, I'll pull 405.

Feel free to criticize or ask questions.

Have a nice day.

I thought sumo is better for people with long torsos and short arms.

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...one-structure/

nothing is good for people with short arms besides the bench press.

a long torso, relative to the femurs, allows for a more vertical starting position because you don't have to lean over as far to get the scapula over mid-foot. a short back, relative to the femurs, necessitates a more horizontal starting position for the opposite reason. shortening the effective length of the femurs by taking a wider stance improves the back angle. if the arms are long, in either case, this doesn't come at the expense of hip height in the starting position. a short back only helps in so much as the arms are long enough to take advantage. if you have a primarily horizontal start position, this may be mechanically disadvantageous enough to prevent the lifter from taking advantage of their shorter torso at lockout

the primary determinant of how good of a puller someone can be is arm length. the rest is just manipulating leverages and getting strong.

never trust anything that starts out by saying "everybody knows ..."
    Last edited by Tom Narvaez; 06-11-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Tried sumo block pulls? Get the bar at the right height and you take the legs out of the equation, which is great for overloading the ass.

it'll be the first variant i go to if i'm still missing at lockout when linearish progress halts

Everybody knows your name is Tom Narvarez.

eager to see the progress of todd nabisco

Looking forward to this Job Nevada style programming.

Cool, looking forward to seeing your continued progress. Will you be keeping conventional deadlifts in at all or switching entirely to sumo?

starting strength coach development program
    probably will not pull conventional at all for a time. eventually, i'll add back in both. i wanna run an LPish type thing for sumo for a while though

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast