Default Beacrys's log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Female
    5’2”
    155 LBS. six weeks ago
    36% BF six weeks ago

I was fit throughout most of my life until I hit fifty when I descended into hormone hell. Within two years I put on 25 LBS. of fat and lost all muscle. For the first time in my life I have been struggling to lose weight and to develop fitness.

I have been logging my food and exercise at Fitness Pal and discovered the Women’s 5X5 group. Someone suggested reading “Starting Strength.” I am more than half way through. Excellent book. I just finished my sixth week of lifting and I really enjoy it. This surprised me no end. I have always been drawn to a more dynamic workout.

After several gym frustrations, i.e., no women's bar, lineups for the squat rack, I bought a squat stand, bench, standard bar and 170 LBS. of weight from Craigslist. I will switch to an OLY bar once I can bench and press that weight. I had a friend who has been lifting for twelve years spend a couple hours with me to teach me form, plus I watch vids and read.

I started out with very light weight doing 5X5, then in week five changed to 3X5. I have a few old injuries from competitive sports that can get cranky if I overwhelm them so I am being cautious. I only started adding weight in week 5. Surprisingly enough the old injuries have all disappeared.

Current stats:
    SQ 50 LBS 3X5
    OHP 30 LBS 3X5
    R 65 LBS 3X5
    BP 40 LBS 3X5
    DL 70 LBS 3X5

SQ (LBS.)
    45X1X5
    50X1X5
    55X1X5

B
    35X1X5
    40X2X5

R
    65X3X5

Averaging a minute break between sets. Felt I could add weight in the bench, but I don't trust that my shoulder is as good as it feels, even though I have felt nothing at all soreness wise for weeks. Better safe than sorry. I need fractionals. Must order.

Just realized I did rows instead of DL's. Whoops.
    Last edited by Beacrys; 06-16-2013 at 02:57 PM.

You might be able find less expensive substitutes at sporting goods stores like Sports Authority locally with 1 and 2 lb. wrist weights like these: http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...entPage=family

You might also find some oversize washers at a local hardware store. Just ask to weigh them while looking.

Purpose built fractional plates are pretty expensive.

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    You might be able find less expensive substitutes at sporting goods stores like Sports Authority locally with 1 and 2 lb. wrist weights like these: http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...entPage=family

You might also find some oversize washers at a local hardware store. Just ask to weigh them while looking.

This. Be creative. It'll be a few $$ vs. $50.
    Are you squatting 3x5 across or three ascending sets?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post

Thx Mark. Will check these out.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Welcome!

This. Be creative. It'll be a few $$ vs. $50.
    Are you squatting 3x5 across or three ascending sets?
    I did an ascending set today because I was feeling crampy (menses) and so not sure I could add weight. I was being cautious. Is this an OK thing to do?

A

SQUAT

45X5X1
    55X5X3

OHP
    30X5X3

DEADLIFT
    75X5X1

WEIGHT: 152 LBS.

I weighed myself for the first time since I started lifting and increasing my calorie intake from 1300 which it had been for six weeks to 1800 calories/day and trying to eat more protein. I lost 3 pounds. I average 40 30 30 macros, but find it hard to get enough protein. I don't eat eggs and I am still looking for a tolerable protein drink. One without stevia. Ugh.

I have found the squat hard for the last two workouts. My last set tonight though felt good. Think I need to video and get it checked here. The deadlift is always my easiest lift and I still feel like I could have added weight, but I am staying slow.

Wondering if I should start working toward chins instead of the rows that I have been doing since I started with the 5X5 program on fitness pal which is based on SL. Mark? Anyone?
    Last edited by Beacrys; 07-16-2013 at 10:07 AM.

SQUAT
    35x5x1 w/up
    45x3x1 w/up
    55x5x3

BENCH
    40X5X3

ROWS
    70X5X3

Seems my last set on each lift is the strongest. I am guessing because I have my form together by then. Still figuring it out in the first sets.

I have plantar fascitis in my right foot and it is causing weirdness up to my knee. Must make acupuncture appt. I think it affects my squats which are not going up in weight as much as my other lifts.

I am meeting with Al at Terminal City next week to go over form and perhaps learn the PC. We'll see if I am ready for that. Very excited about this appt.

SQUAT
    45X5X1
    55X5X1
    60X5X2

OHP
    35X5X3

DL
    80X5X1

My right knee is back to it's old tricks. Must warm it up well. Used some hip action in the OHP. Not eating enough. That's too funny.

starting strength coach development program
    This is for yesterday. I had a session with Al Heineman at Terminal City. Learned lots. These are personal notes. May not apply for everyone. Set up is key. Keep everything tight from the get go. Lean back a little in OHP. Keep the bar in contact always in DL and push through the floor through my heels. Squat, lead with the hips and take a breath between each one. Bench, keep arms vertical and think pushing up toward my feet to get the bar going st. up. Oh and buy lifting shoes! My Merril gloves are good, but shoes will improve my squats.

I did at least 5 sets of 5 for SQ, DL, OHP and Bench because we worked on form for each. Worked at my maximums. Felt great. Feel great today too. I can see how my numbers will go up because the little changes we made in my form made all the lifts easier.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast