starting strength gym

Thread: Help with starting Texas Method

Default Help with starting Texas Method

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ok so I'm 15, 167 cm weighing 67kg.
    I've done SS for 5 months, with the last month and a half or so with barely any progress, if any.
    My 5RM lifts are as follows:
    Squat: 115kg
    Bench Press: 75kg
    Press: 55kg
    Deadlift: 137.5kg(haven't stalled on the deadlift)

Now I've done my first week of TM, and according to what I've gathered, your intensity day should be done with your last weight on SS, and so I did. On volume day I squatted 97.5kg 5X5 which was fine, but on intensity day when I performed 115kg 1X5 it was as hard if not harder then the last time I did this weight(almost failure, good morninged on the last rep). So I didn't even get stronger from the volume day. Now my question is what should I do? should I stop bitching, keep the weight the same and be able to squat 117.5kg next week? or should I reset? what should I do?

Thanks.

Tough question man, I'd almost need to be training you to give you a real good answer. I'd probably drop the weight a bit on both volume and intensity day and give yourself about 4 weeks to kinda ease back into the real heavy weights. Look to hit 115kg in week 5. Go backwards 10 lbs per week from week 5 to get your starting weight on week 1.

I say this because it sounds like you were probably overtrained/underrecovered coming off of the SS program.

PS: you need to be much heavier. It sounds like you didn't totally commit to the nutrition aspect of the program.

PSS: I only operate in pounds, not metric. Sorry - stubborn, stupid American.

Thank you very much for the reply.
    It's a bit disappointing needing a whole month just to start the program but if that's what I have to do..
    And about the weight gain I've gained about 15 pounds in 5 months, I thought it was fine.
    Isn't more than 2 pounds a month just fat mass? Can you elaborate a bit on this one?

Thanks again.

Oh and also I didn't really get what you meant there. Probably my English.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Go backwards 10 lbs per week from week 5 to get your starting weight on week 1.

You may not need a whole month. You may only need two weeks. I don't know, but I am erring on the side of giving you a little too much rest than not enough.

15 lbs in 5 months is not enough. It is normal to see a 7 lb weight gain in the first week of the SS program. I just got done with a high school junior who gained 23 lbs in 14 workouts. He came to train with me prior to starting spring football. His forty time also went from a 5.0 to a 4.85 and we didn't do any sprint training. He is not a genetic freak by any stretch of the imagination. He just did the workouts, drank his milk, and didn't freak out when his abs started to smooth over a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by S2bhtk View Post
    Oh and also I didn't really get what you meant there. Probably my English.
    So if you ended your LP at 300 lbs then you would do the following "delayed entry" into the Texas Method:

Intensity Day:

Week 1: 275x5
    Week 2: 285x5
    Week 3: 295x5
    Week 4: 305x5 (new PR)

Volume day would be about 10-20% less than these weights. This gives you a 4 weeks to hit PRs. We do this when the lifter is burnt out/overtrained after coming off the LP. It sometimes happens. This is actually working backwards for 4 weeks, not 5, but you get the point.

starting strength coach development program
    Ok thanks man, that was very helpful.
    Hope to continue breaking PRs soon