starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul's SS log

Default Paul's SS log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I wasted about 14 months of time with 5/3/1(2 months) and Crossfit(12 months) and found SS when someone mention on a Crossfit video of someone squatting with crappy form to read SS to get his form right. I was intrigued, I Googled it, bam kindle edition bought. I read it and DTP for about 2ish weeks and then resumed wasting my time failing miserably at 2013 Open. Finally looking at my log I got smart again on 30 April 2013 and got back on TP. I am now on strict SS novice LP and have gained 20 lbs (without GOMAD because "real" whole milk isn't available on Guam and the crap they pass for it here tastes like ass) and my last work sets were as follows:

Squat: 300 ^from 240
    -This was my 3rd attempt at this weight, the first time I only got 11 reps, the second time I only got 3 (I had to stay awake 27 hours the day prior and nutrition was not optimal either). The third day at this weight i dropped it during set #2 not sure why, but I got back under it and finished the set after unloading and reloading weights. Third set was flawless. I reset once at 280 for form corrections.

Press: 125 ^ from 95
    Bench: 190 ^ from 160
    Deadlift: 320 ^ from 215
    Power Clean: 172 ^ from 145 (added on on week 3)

Height: 5'11
    Weight: 180 ^ from 150

I am currently microloading with 1 lb baseball weights until I can get my fractional set in. I will also post my reasoning for certain decisions from day to day and please feel free to critique those decisions. I plan to video my 300 squat because that was my original goal. Thanks for reading and any feedback.
    Last edited by WingedDoc; 07-13-2013 at 07:50 AM. Reason: updated stats

Squat: 295 (5-1-1)
    -First set felt good, I rested about 5 mins between sets and dropped it on set 2 rep 2, and the first rep on set 3 was hard earned so I didn't try for a second one. Today was day 3 since I'm on a Thur, Sat, Mon schedule, so I think it is time to add in a light Squat day mid week and see if the extra recovery time keeps me pushing forward for a few more weeks. Slept well last night got in well over 4k cal for the past 4 days.

Press: 122 (5-5-4)
    -Usually takes a workout or two to get all reps, had to push press the last rep

Power Clean 172 (couldn't get under it at all)
    -I think I missed these reps because I was dumb about it. The last time I was supposed to Power Clean I missed because of work, then had a bad day with dead lifts at the next session. I should have dropped the weight to 165ish and worked back up.

Thanks for reading, ideas, comments, critiques, and questions always welcome.

Kind of a rough day today.
    Squat: 295x3-0-0
    235x5-5-5
    I have a belt on order from best belts and I think my issue is I'm not able to keep my upper body upright, so maybe a belt giving me something to push against will help. Until it comes in I started a reset at 235 today and will work back up. I think my form is pretty good, but here is a video of the last work set I did at 235 today:

http://youtu.be/Va7sz0FStvc

Bench: 185x 4-0-0

I don't have a spotter and was home alone so I didn't push for the last rep, then my 8 month old woke up and I had to cut the session short.

I've been using a belt from best belts for the last month or so. It has made a huge difference for me. My lifts are still lagging behind yours but the belt made it much easier for me to keep my back at the proper angle on my squat and gains on my dead lift have driven nice progress on the squat as well.

Looking forward to following your log.

Squat
    295x 3-1/ 245x 5-5
    Decided to put 295 back on the bar to see if I was just having a bad day. I found a weakness in my hip drive that had developed from not having my heels far apart and my toes pointed out far enough so I dropped the weight to what would have been my next reset weight and all reps felt really good. I'm gonna work back up over the next few workouts and do it again.

Press
    122x 5-5-4
    I got one more chance then I'm gonna reset

Dead lift
    290x 5
    Dropped the weight down just because its been 3 weeks since I pulled 320 and I have missed a Dead lift day and failed another one since then. Felt like I made a good decision and chose an appropriate weight. Recently started doing my warm-up sets without the hook-grip (I usually hook all pulls just out of habit) and I can definitely feel the difference in the forearms.

Squat: 255x 5-5-5
    Felt really good, no pain in the hips after figuring out that I needed to point my toes more and push my knees out more.

Bench: 185x 5-5-5

GHR- 10-3-5
    Chin- 5-7-5

Squat: 265x 5-5-5
    -Got my belt in from Best Belts yesterday and today was the first time ever lifting with one, all sets felt really good and I believe I'll get 295 next week when I work back up to it with no problems.

Press: 122x 5-5-5
    -Felt really strong doing these today, I noticed on previous days that I failed this weight that my left side was locking out before my right on the later reps, but today both sides went up evenly. I guess my right side just had to catch up with the left.

Power Clean: 165x 3-3-3-3-3
    -Dropped the weight a few pounds from last time and it went well, challenging but doable.

Squat: 275x 5-5-5
    -Good solid lifts.

Bench: 187x 5-5-5
    -Had a buddy I got doing the program come over to workout with me and spot (didn't need it). Another set of good strong lifts.

GHR- 10-10-10
    Chins- 8-7-6
    -Body weight is now 178

Loving this program I can tell I'm putting on weight A) because of the scale and B) I'm getting accused of buying SHMEDIUM clothes! My wife has also started in on the fat jokes when I need her help getting my shirts on and off...
    Last edited by WingedDoc; 07-06-2013 at 04:34 AM.

Squat: 285x 5-5-5
    -Solid

Press: 125x 5-5-4
    -Balls... I bet I could have rested 30 more seconds and got that last rep...

Deadlift: 300x 5

Pretty productive day, ready to finally tackle 295 squat on Thursday and then the quest for 300 continues!

starting strength coach development program
    Squat: 295x 5-5-5
    -Seemed pretty easy, I videoed it and it still seems my knees are moving a bit more than they should, I'll put the video up for a form check later and add a link here also.

Bench: 190x 5-5-5
    -Solid, even though I didn't have the luxury of a spotter today I felt pretty comfortable going for every rep.

Deadlift: 310x 5
    -Yes I know I deadlifted last time I lifted, but I re-evaluated the dead/PC/GHR,Chin rotation I was doing and it was making me not DL at all every 4th week. I'm gonna put in on a TMish style rotation where I DL on Thurs, GHR/Chin on Sat, and PC on Monday. This seems to be pretty acceptable from what I've read, but I am more than open any better ideas.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast