starting strength gym

Thread: Split routine assistance excercises

Default Split routine assistance excercises

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am trying to assist my wife with programming as an intermediate lifter. We could use some additional opinions. She is a raw power lifter Squat 375, Bench 155, Dead lift 395. Used the SS method and a short time on TM. Her gym however has team trainings 4x a week that she would like to be a part of.

Shell of the current proposed program

Monday: Bench + press accessory
    Wednesday: Volume Squats 5x5 + Related Accessory
    Thursday: Overhead + Press accessory
    Saturday: Intensity Squat + Dead-lift + Related Accessory

The real question comes down to how much accessory work to perform. Her gym generally recommends 4 activities. Example would be bench + 3 accessory or Intensity Squat + Deadlift + 2 accessory. These are some hardened strong advanced trainees so I trust there opinion but occasionally question the appropriateness for all trainees. What are your thoughts on the amount of work being performed?

We have identified several key accessory work for her weaknesses but we do not want to overdo it. The most important focus for her being dynamic speed work, dead-lift pin pulls, squat de-load and technique rehab, and a refocus on the overhead press.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanshadow View Post
    I am trying to assist my wife with programming as an intermediate lifter. We could use some additional opinions. She is a raw power lifter Squat 375, Bench 155, Dead lift 395. Used the SS method and a short time on TM. Her gym however has team trainings 4x a week that she would like to be a part of.

Shell of the current proposed program

Monday: Bench + press accessory
    Wednesday: Volume Squats 5x5 + Related Accessory
    Thursday: Overhead + Press accessory
    Saturday: Intensity Squat + Dead-lift + Related Accessory

The real question comes down to how much accessory work to perform. Her gym generally recommends 4 activities. Example would be bench + 3 accessory or Intensity Squat + Deadlift + 2 accessory. These are some hardened strong advanced trainees so I trust there opinion but occasionally question the appropriateness for all trainees. What are your thoughts on the amount of work being performed?

We have identified several key accessory work for her weaknesses but we do not want to overdo it. The most important focus for her being dynamic speed work, dead-lift pin pulls, squat de-load and technique rehab, and a refocus on the overhead press.
    The part in bold is nonsense. No good program would randomly call for 4 exercises just because. In a serious training program every exercise has a point in being there. Everything is done for a reason. Sets and reps are selected for certain goals.

The point of assistance work for a power lifter is to improve the squat, bench, and deadlift. That's it.

Here is how you diagnose:

Is a lift stuck or is it progressing?

If its progressing - no changes to program

If its stuck, then ask: Do I need MORE work or LESS work on the lift?

If the answer is MORE work then you ask: Would I benefit more from increased volume/frequency of the lift? Or added assistance work?

If the answer is assistance work then pick 1 MAYBE 2 things that you think might work and hit them hard for a few weeks/months and see what happens