starting strength gym

Thread: Program for upcoming 10k

Default Program for upcoming 10k

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My wife signed me up for a 10k on Labor Day weekend. I hate running. I like lifting. I am pretty unconditioned. So far, my paltry 1-1.5 mile runs have left my shins and calves extremely tight and sore. I know in the past during a lifting layoff of a month or so, I ran a 5k comparatively easily. So, since I have agreed to this damn run, I may as well devote some real training resources, and this means less squatting/deadlifting. Also, I don't want my runs to be even more miserable than running is in general.

I tested my 1RM last week and started Callador's 4x4 program this week.

HT: 6'1
    WT: ~245
    SQ: 365
    DL: 365 (Prior back injuries)
    BP: 255
    PR: 165

My running will be two shorter runs during the week, and a longer run on the weekend, building up to a 10k+ run a week or two before the race. I have done a cursory search of the board using google, but haven't seen any programming advice except for skinny people worried about losing their running ability and NDTP. I am a tall heavy dude who wants to keep as much leg strength as possible while doing this stupid race.

Thanks for any help.

My first advice is to not do the race. A guy that weighs 250 has no business running a 10K. I guess I would just put your squats and deads on maintenance for a while and do about 80% for sets of 5 once or twice per week.

Hah, maybe I will couple that with a diet then.

Not what I was saying. I think 245 is a perfectly normal weight for a guy that is 6'1. I think you should hang onto your muscle mass (a useful thing) and not to the activity that is not useful and potentially destructive.

I was 6'1" and about 250lb when I ran my 10 miler, you'll be fine if you train for it and load up on ibuprofen an hour before the race. I got terrible shin splits when I did run back at that time and needed to lacrosse ball the crap out of my shins every time, but I got through the race. I was only squatting 275 for reps at the time I believe.

For training, what I did was squat 5x5 and DL 1x5 once a week with my then working weight and did't run that day or the day after. I didn't try to increase my working weight, just pushed to keep it where it was. The other 5 days had me doing 2 days of 2-3 miles pushing for time and stopping to massage out my legs when needed, and 1 day of running 5-7 miles. Those were the crappy days. You wouldn't need to run as far, probably just 4 miles on you long days since your race is only 6.2 miles vs 10 miles.

The source of the issue is you running the race if you don't want to. Believe me, I understand doing crap just because your wife wants you to and you don't want to hear her on it any more, I do it all the time. However, putting your goals on the backburner and investing 2-3 hours a week in an activity you dislike might be over the line on that one.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Andy, very much appreciated. Unfortunately, I already consented to this silliness so I will see it through.