starting strength gym

Thread: Thanks to you and Jim for making me strong

Default Thanks to you and Jim for making me strong

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark,

I found starting strength a few years back through Crossfit and it completely changed my attitude toward training. At the time I was 168lbs at 6'1. After a while of messing around and trying to combine both Starting Strength and Crossfit, I came to my senses and began to eat and train correctly. Up until April 2012 I ran the LP, taking my 1rm Squat of 235lbs to 335lbs (I had hit more previously, but this was my 1rm in April). I then followed 531 from then until this month..

I would be grateful if you would take a look at my 90sec video as my progress is all thanks to you and Wendler for being such huge influences. Btw my current bodyweight is 221lbs - I know I still look skinny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNNH6mQaqp4

Also, a before and after pic

really great progress man, perhaps you could detail your 5/3/1 progress? I don't know much past texas method.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslin View Post
    really great progress man, perhaps you could detail your 5/3/1 progress? I don't know much past texas method.
    Thanks! I'd recommend reading wendlers 531. I just followed the basic program and added in some basic assistance work such as chins, db presses etc. It's a lot less volume than starting strength or texas method but definitely works if you can stick to the same program for at least a year and eat to support the work you're doing.

I'm coming right to the end of my TM progression and I'm thinking of switching over, benching/presses have stalled, and my squat is grinding away at just over 500lbs, seems like the perfect program because the volume is now Taking me forever on TM.

Once again, good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslin View Post
    I'm coming right to the end of my TM progression and I'm thinking of switching over, benching/presses have stalled, and my squat is grinding away at just over 500lbs, seems like the perfect program because the volume is now Taking me forever on TM.

Once again, good job.
    I'm sure you'll love the program if you're coming off of the texas method. Pm me if you have any questions about running it that aren't in the book.

And a triple at 435lbs with sleeves and a belt - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bptUV1jirQ4

Very strong, considering you're 2 inches too deep with a round low back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Very strong, considering you're 2 inches too deep with a round low back.
    I'll keep working on that I guess!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by peteUK View Post
    I'm sure you'll love the program if you're coming off of the texas method. Pm me if you have any questions about running it that aren't in the book.
    Thanks mate.