starting strength gym

Thread: My First Shot at Self Programming

Default My First Shot at Self Programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My background:
    6'1", 260 lb, high 20%'s body fat. Did stronglifts for 8-12 months with a few life enforced breaks, then for the first 3 months of this year did Madcow. The last 3 months have pretty much been a failed attempt at cutting, and I'm going back to focusing on making gains the rest of the year in preparation for my first meet in December. Current PRs are 455/305/540 with no wraps, just a belt on squats and deads, all set May 5. I've read SS and PP.

The following is my first attempt at programming, basically just using Lascek's TM template with trying to work in power cleans and front squats as I'd like to learn them and work them into my programming. Please give any feedback as to things I might want to consider changing and reasoning why.

Sunday (Volume):
    Chin-ups: 3-4xmax. Once I'm capable of 3x5, start weighting. Max currently 4.
    LBS 5x5
    Press 5x5

Both squats and press will use CAT (Compensatory Acceleration Training) and working weights around 65% of 1RM. Planning on focusing on speed and only progressing weights once the last set is as fast as the first. This will be my first time trying this type of training, so I'm expecting a learning curve at first.

Tuesday (Light):
    Front Squats 3x5
    Light Bench 3x5
    Power Clean 5x3
    curls 3x8

Everything done with no more than 65% 1RM

Thursday (Intensity):

Chin-ups
    Squat 1x3
    Press 1x3
    DL 1x5

Work up to a heavy set for each, try to meet or beat previous week's numbers based on how well the previous week's form and speed were.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Seems like standard TM stuff. I'd put your cleans on volume day though, not on recovery day.

By CAT, I am assuming you are referring to the Dynamic Effort Method? Using bands and/or chains?

No, it's based on continually accelerating the bar and focusing on progressing the ability to continually accelerate the weight through the whole rep before progressing the amount of weight itself. It also has the lifter doing their 5x5 at 55-65% 1RM instead of 75-85% like most do so that they're generating the most power and able to continually accelerate. It's been written and talked about a lot lately over on juggernaut training systems by Lilly and Carter. I linked an article below as an example.

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/...squatting-big/