starting strength gym

Thread: Coming back from fractured tibia

Default Coming back from fractured tibia

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey all,

I have been doing the program (slight variation) for a little over a month and I just thought I should start the log up here to help keep me motivated.

First the stats
    Height: 6' 3"
    Starting weight: 175
    Current weight: 188

Starting press: 85 lb
    Starting bench: 115 lbs
    Starting Squat: 115 lbs
    Starting dead: 155 lbs

1 month later
    Press 110
    Bench 145
    squat 155
    dead 230

I am a military member and as such I have modified the program slightly to the squat mon/fri and pull wed method with alternating press and bench on my workout days as I still have to participate in my unit PT and I wasnt recovering well from squatting 3 days a week.

After 6 years of doing nothing but prescribed military "long run" type PT and 2 years of my own marathon / ultra-marathon endurance training I found myself with a stress fracture in my left tibia that had been agrivated by an admittidly stupid will to finish a 125km race last summer. On doctors orders I was stuck doing zero high impact and pretty much lived in a pool for PT until christmas. During this time the only weights I was told to do were the standard rehab oriented stability ball propioception work.

This was the first time I realized that running over 100km a week and doing pushups and pullups probably wasnt the best thing to keep me healthy for my sport. The Canadian military is making a deliberate effort to get away from an endurance focus and are currently trying to promote their new program which is basically crossfit with a slight endurance base. I couldnt handle the amount of running in the program as I still had a "sore" leg 6 months after my injury. So I headed to a local Crossfit. After a few months there I had gotten my conditioning back but I felt no stronger. then my coach there suggested Starting strength as I was, in his words, "severly underweight".

Linear progression like this has got to be the most motivating thing I have ever experienced. Always getting measurably better every week is amazing. I have even noticed as my strength is going up I am running faster and less sore on a daily basis.

I just wanted to say thanks, hello, and hopefully Ill keep my log here

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyS View Post
    Hey all,

I have been doing the program (slight variation) for a little over a month and I just thought I should start the log up here to help keep me motivated.

First the stats
    Height: 6' 3"
    Starting weight: 175
    Current weight: 188

Starting press: 85 lb
    Starting bench: 115 lbs
    Starting Squat: 115 lbs
    Starting dead: 155 lbs

1 month later
    Press 110
    Bench 145
    squat 155
    dead 230

I am a military member and as such I have modified the program slightly to the squat mon/fri and pull wed method with alternating press and bench on my workout days as I still have to participate in my unit PT and I wasnt recovering well from squatting 3 days a week.

After 6 years of doing nothing but prescribed military "long run" type PT and 2 years of my own marathon / ultra-marathon endurance training I found myself with a stress fracture in my left tibia that had been agrivated by an admittidly stupid will to finish a 125km race last summer. On doctors orders I was stuck doing zero high impact and pretty much lived in a pool for PT until christmas. During this time the only weights I was told to do were the standard rehab oriented stability ball propioception work.

This was the first time I realized that running over 100km a week and doing pushups and pullups probably wasnt the best thing to keep me healthy for my sport. The Canadian military is making a deliberate effort to get away from an endurance focus and are currently trying to promote their new program which is basically crossfit with a slight endurance base. I couldnt handle the amount of running in the program as I still had a "sore" leg 6 months after my injury. So I headed to a local Crossfit. After a few months there I had gotten my conditioning back but I felt no stronger. then my coach there suggested Starting strength as I was, in his words, "severly underweight".

Linear progression like this has got to be the most motivating thing I have ever experienced. Always getting measurably better every week is amazing. I have even noticed as my strength is going up I am running faster and less sore on a daily basis.

I just wanted to say thanks, hello, and hopefully Ill keep my log here
    Welcome. Hopefully, the tibia will be a good as new pretty soon.

For someone with your bodyshape, enough nutrition is going to be a key element in how long the program will work. While GOMAD isn't a good idea, a pint of milk after each workout is worth trying.

Thanks Joe, that was actually the first thing I figured out after 2 weeks. everything stopped dead. Every lift, all on the same day. I started on about 2L of whole milk a day and that was when my weight increase shot up and my lifts started gaining again. If I keep getting stronger I have no problem with going up to even more milk as it seems to work. I Have had a 6 pack since I was 14 years old. I am not worried about it disappearing for the first time at my age. the wife seems to like me at 188 more then she did at 175. though from what Ive seen on the platform videos and some of rips articles...Im not really an "adult male" until Im over 200

Mon 8 Jul 13

squat: 160lb x 5 x 3
    pinched something in my rear delt from what I assume was a problem with bar position. Felt weird warming up for bench and my first rep at weight felt bad so I cut my loses and called it a day

Wed 10 Jul 13

Dead: 235 x 5 x 1
    Press: 115 x 5 x 1, 110 x 5 x 2,

Should still felt wierd while deadlifting but not too bad. got a 5 pound jump on press for my first set but failed on second set so I dropped the 5 lbs and finished up. I have no small plates to do 2 lb jumps