• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Andy,

Thank you for your time in this forum. Following stats:

Wt: 202
    Height: 5’10”
    Bodyfat: umm 22-25+%

Goals:
    Enter Krav Maga (self defense training) strong and conditioned 1st quarter 2014
    Bodyfat: 15-17%
    Squat (1x5): 375
    Deadlift (1x5): 405
    Press (1x5): 150
    Bench(1x5): 200+
    Pullups 3x10
    Chinups 3x10
    Abroller: 1x50x2per week
    2-3 days of conditioning

Lifts:
    Squats (3x5): 305
    Press (3x5): 115
    Deadlift(1x5): 320
    Bench (3x5): 187.5
    Pullups: 3x7
    Chinups: 3x7
    Abroller: 1x32

Workout: TM
    Monday-Volume
    Squats 5x5 @ 90% 5rm
    Bench/OHP 5x5 @ 90% 5rm
    Deadlifts 1x5 @ 90% 5rm
    Bench/OHP 60% 40reps
    Curlzzz 5x8

Wednesday-Recovery
    Squats 2x5 @ 80% Monday
    OHP3x5Slightly lighter load/Bench 3x5 90% 5x5 wt
    Chinups 3x5 bdw
    Back Extensions/glute-ham raises 5x10
    3min/3min prowler light

Friday-Intensity
    Squats 1x5 new 5rm
    Bench/OHP New 5rm, warm up using 10,5 then singles/doubles to working weight
    Bench/OHP 60% 50reps
    abroller 1x50
    Curlzzz 3x8

Andy I gave you a ton of data and I hope you are not put off by it. Just wanted to give you enough data to go off of. I am training up to start Krav Maga March 2014 and I know from past experience that I need to greatly increase my upper body strength. My questions are real simple:

1. My recovery is spotty due to work. How do I move conditioning from my current 1/week to 2-3 three per week with a TM schedule?
    2. At what point do I start working on reducing bodyfat to my goal of 15-17%?

My log if anyone cares for a read....

Runner's log

My recommendation is to NOT do the Texas Method while at the same time adding conditioning work and reducing body fat.

Maybe something like:

Monday: Bench
    Tues: Squat
    Thurs: Press
    Friday: Light Squat, Deadlifts

Doing something like this leaves plenty of room to condition or add accessory work and not get over trained. On this schedule you could easily Prowler after your lowerbody workouts and do upper assistance like chins or dips on Mon/Thurs. Maybe do some mid distance track work (200s and 400s) on Sundays.

Thank you for the response.

I am going to follow my existing program until January 2014 then (and variations thereof) and then switch over to a more forgiving training method. I have noticed that volume is my friend especially for upper body lifts. Given that you do not recommend any major conditioning or body fat loss, would you recommend something like wendlers 5/3/1 +boring but big + conditioning?

Mon
    Press – 5/3/1
    Press – 5 sets of 10 reps
    Chinups 3x10

Tues
    Deadlift – 5/3/1
    Deadlift – 5 sets of 10 reps
    Oldster's Abroller from hell – 2x50
    Conditioning 30sec/1:40 7-8 rounds (prowler/rower etc)

Thurs
    Bench Press – 5/3/1
    Bench Press – 5 sets of 10 reps
    Pullups 3x10

Friday
    Squat – 5/3/1
    Squat – 5 sets of 10 reps
    Oldster's Abroller from hell – 2x50

Sunday
    Last edited by Runner; 07-20-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Changed the days so it made more sense.

You could do something like that.

Thank you for your time.

I am 47 and started Krav two years ago. I'd recommend focusing on punching and kicking for your conditioning. Get some kind of bag and do one minute on, one rest of punching, then kicking, then both. Go very hard (as hard as you possibly can). A huge part of success in Krav class is being able to sustain the beat down and still have gas in the tank. You also should work to improve your bench and press and maybe throw in some push ups as conditioning. Sit ups too. I dropped 20 lbs in the first two months, but it would have been way easier to do that before I started classes. If you can, sit in on a few classes to see what they are doing and what you are in for. Have fun.

Skuhr I've done Krav for a year before and your comments makes sense. I know that Krav takes a serious conditioning element to be real successful at it and I will build that in a couple months before I go into the program. Currently I am on the strength phase of training and agree with you on the upper body development needed to really kick some tail with the system. I expect that I will lean out once I am in the conditioning phase of my program. Your comment about getting a kick bag to train what I remember of the techniques as a conditioning method makes real sense to me. Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    My recommendation is to NOT do the Texas Method while at the same time adding conditioning work and reducing body fat.

Maybe something like:

Monday: Bench
    Tues: Squat
    Thurs: Press
    Friday: Light Squat, Deadlifts

Doing something like this leaves plenty of room to condition or add accessory work and not get over trained. On this schedule you could easily Prowler after your lowerbody workouts and do upper assistance like chins or dips on Mon/Thurs. Maybe do some mid distance track work (200s and 400s) on Sundays.
    In your experience, can only squatting once a week (besides light squats) work?

If you get a bag, the Bas Rutten CD's are great for getting into Krav shape:

http://www.basrutten.com/dvd/bas-rut...s-and-dvd.html

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    In your experience, can only squatting once a week (besides light squats) work?
    Ed Coan and Kirk Karwoski both only squatted once per week. Plenty of others do as well. So yes, it can work. I'm not a good lifter, but I squat about 540, and I only go once per week.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast