starting strength gym

Thread: Slow Bulk

Default Slow Bulk

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi there,

Decided to keep a log. Here is a quick intro with history and goals.

I'm 34 yo male with generally athletic background and on and off experience with weights for several years. I'm 6'2" and currently 190#. My primary sports are climbing and snowboarding. I have done starting strength twice before: The first time I quit when I got too heavy for climbing, the second I stalled out from not eating enough.

My best lifts within the last year are:

Squat 235x5
    Deadlift 345x1
    Bench 185x4
    Press 120x5

In January I injured my rotator cuff doing some silly rubber band exercise and immediately afterwards could neither bench nor press the bar, the empty bar. Nor could I do a pushup. It took about a month before I could even start lifting again, and I had to start from the bar and work back up to where I am now. Over the last few months, I feel I have finished rehabbing this injury back to full health and started to get my weights back up to close to what I was at before.

Over the last month I have been on a leangains-style cut and right now I'm sitting at 190# with a 32" waist, putting me around 10%BF by calculation. During this month my lifts have not regressed but neither have they surpassed my pre-injury numbers. My best lifts from this past week are as follows:

Squat 235x5
    Deadlift 255x9
    Press 100x9
    Bench 145x10

My goals now are:

1. Gain as much strength as possible. Specifically, by new years I want to have completed the following lifts

Squat 315x5
    Deadlift 405x5
    Press 135x5
    Bench 225x5

2. Stay as lean as possible. I would like to accomplish all of the above goals without rising above 15% BF. However - I am committed to goal #1 1st and foremost, even if it means sacrificing goal #2.

My plan at present is to continue on the Leangains diet plan, but switch to a slow-bulk setup. This will put me ~3500 kcal on training days and 2200 kcal on rest days, 200-225g protein per day. I plan to start a Starting Strength cycle tomorrow, from the beginning, and running it through the end of the year on the above diet plan. If I find at some point I am stalling out prematurely, I will increase the macros as necessary to continue the program. Will post up more details tomorrow after the first training session.

Here is a before pic from last week @190#

Thanks for reading.

-pyrosis

Slept 7.5 hours

Today's training (fasted)

Squats
    45x2x5
    65x5
    85x5
    105x5
    115x3x5

Press
    45x2x5
    55x5
    65x5
    75x3x5

Deadlift
    65x5
    95x5
    115x5
    135x5

None of these felt difficult but I know to start low

Todays nutrition

protein 200g
    carbohydrate ~375g
    fat ~50g

Today,

Sleep: 7 hours. I can see this will be an issue. I work 12 hr shifts in the ER, 3pm to 3am (in August will be switching to the opposite of this.) Anyway, there just isn't enough time for 8 hrs sleep, then training, then food, then work. I need an extra hour from somewhere, so it comes from sleep. Hopefully this doesn't screw me in the end.

Activity: Walked through the woods, just me and my dog. ~20 minutes, not a soul in sight, loved it.

Eat: Protein 200 Fat 100 Carb 50

Work: 12 hours, busy shift in ER

Looking forward to training tomorrow and my day off, might do a little climbing as well and possibly even check out a BJJ class, never been before

Today

Sleep: 6 hours - ugh. Transition to the AM shift over the next week - must train myself to be able to get up at 230 AM instead of going to sleep at 330AM like I have been doing while on the PM shift

Activity -

Helped a friend with moving, ~1 hour
    Train -
    Squats
    45x2x5
    65x5
    85x5
    105x5
    125x3x5
    Deadlift (bench was occupied)
    65x5
    85x5
    105x5
    125x5
    150x5
    Bench
    45x2x5
    55x5
    65x5
    75x5
    85x5
    95x3x5

Everything felt off, everything felt crooked. These should have all felt really easy for me, they didn't. I purposefully left all the warmups at 5 reps because the weights seem so light, maybe that had something to do with it?

Anyway left the gym, went bouldering - Way Lake.. 20 minutes hike each way up a big hill, then climbed v1/v1/v1/v1/v2/v4/v5 - worked on a v6 (fail), worked on repeating Crimp Ladder (v7), failed but got very close

Eat

Protein 200
    Carbs ~400
    Fat ~50

Got to bed at the right time today, still slept maybe 6 1/2 hours - just couldn't fall asleep. Frustrating.

Rest day. Macros Protein 200 Fat 100 Carbs 50

Yard work, rest, lazing about. Feeling tired, still psyched for training tomorrow.

Sleep 7+1/2 hours, thank god

Early AM workout (from now on all warmups are as prescribed 45x2x5, ___x5, ___x3, ___x2, only documenting the work sets from now on)

squat 135x3x5, felt much better than wednesday
    press 80x3x5, no problem
    deadlift 165x5, no problem

yard work ~5 hours, mowing, trimming weeds and branches, chipping branches, raking, piling materials into the compost

macros - pigged out big time, didn't count, probably around protein 200, carbs 600, fat 200 oof so bloated

geeking out on Jordan's excellent nutrition article now, can't wait for the e-book

reassessing my goals and perhaps my plan, going to ruminate on it a bit

Ok so yesterday...

Slept 7 hours or so, had a pretty restful day. Light yard work, reading, eating, sex, nap, more yard work, more reading, more eating.

Thought a lot about my goals, decided to change things up on the nutrition aspect. Last time through the program, on 'cut' macros per leangains, i stalled out after 235 on the squats. I Keep thinking about the bar with 245 and how i want to get there and for it to feel easy, to crush the sets and keep right on past it. I see that the easiest way to accomplish this will be to eat more and make sure I maximize my recovery in other ways as well.

But first, the eating more. Decided to change up the macros, going for 300/400/133 protein/carb/fat. Tried it out yesterday and I got in the ballpark. Today tracking meticulously and i feel like im training more for competitive eating than anything else.

Last night slept like ten hours, this morning downed a protein shake and went to the gym

Squat 145x3x5 felt trivially easy
    Bench Press 105x3x5 felt very easy - though there were a few slight niggles in my left shoulder (the injured one) and I don't feel very stable on the bench - like i might roll off to one side or the other at any moment.
    Deadlift 180x5 - the concentric portion of the lift felt awesome, light as a feather. The eccentric portion i could feel slight twinges of pain in my knees at the moment when the knees would unlock. I know I am unlocking my hips first on the way down and then the knees after, but something felt wrong in my hamstrings right at the moment when my knees would unlock. I can see why some people prefer to just drop the deadlift from the top - the eccentric phase of the lift feels markedly more stressful than the concentric.

Now Im sitting here trying to finish my lunch and feeling more like I am training to be a competitive eater than anything else. Going to grit my teeth and force it in, this feels harder than the workout quite honestly.

Will check back later with macros for the day.

4000 kcal today - 300/400/133 protein/carb/fat

lots more to work on

starting strength coach development program
    Haven't logged in a bit, anyway last 2 workouts

Saturday

Squat 170x3x5
    Press 90x3x5
    PC 95x5x3

Yesterday
    Squat 175x3x5
    Bench 125x3x5
    DL 225x5

Have been eating around 4000kcal/day and aiming for 200g protein, with good (i think) success though I havent been tracking strictly. Sleep is a struggle on work days, probably averaging 7 hours per night.