starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF/Hypoglycemia/Idiot

Default IF/Hypoglycemia/Idiot

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Jordan
    I’m wondering if you believe in reactive hypoglycemia. I am very skeptical about things such as “hypoglycemia, adrenal fatigue, over training, gluten allergy, lyme disease” etc…However it would seem I may have reactive hypoglycemia or some form of HG.

Background: Used to have no problems. Started doing IF + Low Carb (ate between 1-8pm every day). I regret doing so. I lost a great deal of fat, got quite lean, but stress of school started weighing on me. I noticed I stopped losing weight no matter what amount of calories I took in. I also noticed shakiness and mood swings mild anxiety, rapid heart rate.

Long story short: I quit IF went back to high protein moderate carb diet. Everything is pretty much good except now when I drink alcohol, even with food, the next day I have hypo symptoms again, the worst symptom is the mood swings. If I eat high carb to help, I feel better for a moment, then It gets way worse about an hour later. Is it possible that hypo is a real phenomenon I developed or is it just psychological problems I need to deal with.

Thanks.

Yea, I've had reactive hypoglycemia a few times....not sure how you could make a case that it doesn't exist since it's well documented in my opinion. In my opinion you came off low carb too quickly and aren't very efficient at using carbs as you otherwise would be. I'd ramp it up slowly (the carbs) in exchange for fat if you could do this all over again. Right now I'd be looking at lower the carbs just a touch for the moment, then adding a bit of MCT's, butter, or coconut oil in for some fats at each meal. I'd also make sure you are getting a good whack of fiber each meal.

How could you be skeptical on lyme disease?

Quote Originally Posted by jrnb View Post
    Lol, right?

I get reactive hypoglycemia fairly often, usually when I haven't eaten in a while, combined with either coffee or alcohol, tho I can't pinpoint exactly what causes it (it seems to show up a little randomly). I had an assistant once who could recognize when I'd get it and she'd show up with juice in a heartbeat. She was the best.

Anyway ... It definitely exists and it SUCKS. I've never craved anything like I crave juice or pretzels when I'm in that state. Focuses the mind like you wouldn't believe. Funny how the body works.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Lol, right?

Hey, Jack! I heard Muscular Dystrophy was an urban legend....I feel ya on the Lyme Disease

Quote Originally Posted by jrnb View Post
    And those patients that we've been biopsying all these years for celiac disease, aka gluten allergy? That's all in the pathologist's head, too.

Thanks for the replies jordan/milo. The rest of you guys, what I was referring to was the rampant diagnosis by naturopathic doctors of lyme disease. "Oh your tired? - lyme disease" It's one of those diseases that has a wide variety of vague symptoms so there are a lot of books written about it and websites about it. Same with reactive hypo, there are people on the internet that think it’s responsible for all the crime and many endocrinologists don’t recognize it outside without pathology. Hell most doctors don’t even know you need a 5 hour GTT to find out if you really have it or not.

I know these diseases exists, what i'm skeptical of is the vast claims of people having them. i.e. gluten allergy.

Actually, Lyme Disease is one of the most over-diagnosed illness in America. There is no test for it, a doctor can only test for antibodies that would be present should the patient have LD. Those antibodies could also be present due to a myriad of other reasons.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorinexile View Post
    Actually, Lyme Disease is one of the most over-diagnosed illness in America. There is no test for it, a doctor can only test for antibodies that would be present should the patient have LD. Those antibodies could also be present due to a myriad of other reasons.

IIRC a Western Blot assay (or Southwestern Blot) is very specific and sensitive (relative).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast