starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Eat more sodium" article

Default "Eat more sodium" article

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Jordan,

I'm almost done with my eating for today and noticed that my total sodium intake is 1250 (mg?): myfitnesspal log

I didn't eat processed hi-sodium McDo style food lately and was wondering if it would be optimal to salt my food or, as the author of the following article recommend, eat a couple dill pickle's everyday:

The first thing I recommend to most hard training athletes and clients of mine is to start by adding a little sea salt to most of their meals. Sea salt is the kind of sodium you want, not regular table salt.

The next thing I tell them is to eat pickles. Pickles are my number one biggest secret physique and performance enhancing food. I’m dead serious. If you usually watch your sodium intake start eating a few pickles a day and tell me if you don’t start getting way better pumps and having significantly better workouts. I’ve never seen it fail to work.
    Link: http://jasonferruggia.com/eat-more-sodium/

Do you agree with this?

I don't agree with the sea salt part, but yes...you want salt for more pumps, vascularity, better nutrient transport etc. I don't like sea salt as a standalone source of salt unless it has iodine added to it. The part about pickles is bro science, obviously.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, I'll get better at this too lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I don't agree with the sea salt part, but yes...you want salt for more pumps, vascularity, better nutrient transport etc. I don't like sea salt as a standalone source of salt unless it has iodine added to it. The part about pickles is bro science, obviously.
    Can someone explain to me why sea salt is supposedly so awesome? Maybe I'm too slow on new trends but it's everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    Can someone explain to me why sea salt is supposedly so awesome? Maybe I'm too slow on new trends but it's everywhere.
    Fuck the MAN, we want SEA SALT bc it's organic...IT'S FROM THE SEA!!!

How much sodium do you suggest per day? I think the standard rec. from the paleo blogosphere is like 3-5, but this doesn't necessarily take heavy lifting and HIISEX into account.

Quote Originally Posted by tzanghi View Post
    How much sodium do you suggest per day? I think the standard rec. from the paleo blogosphere is like 3-5, but this doesn't necessarily take heavy lifting and HIISEX into account.
    I don't recommend a specific amount, I just tell people to salt everything unless they have BP issues.

I don't recommend a specific amount, I just tell people to salt everything unless they have BP issues.
    Even better. BRB salting my hot sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    I have no opinion on the nutritional value, but I'll admit to being a salt snob who cringes at the suggestion that you only consume salt with iodine.

Salt can have subtle taste variations, and a good sea salt, not just any sea salt, just tastes better.

But I do own at least 5-6 different salts at any one time, and I'd own more if I had room and didn't worry about having a salt problem.

starting strength coach development program
    Ive read some of that guys other stuff and he is a big fan of grass finished beef. How do you feel about grass finished beef as opposed to grain finished as a large portion of your daily protein intake? Is it all hype to you Jordan or legit?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast