starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 125 to 170 pounds in 2 months

Default 125 to 170 pounds in 2 months

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys,

I started off around mid May 2013 at 125 pounds and by August I weigh about 170 pounds. I've been using SS and the GOMAD as well. I look and feel a whole lot better. I was wondering since I'm only 5"8, should I try and reach my goal weight which was 200 pounds? A lot of people are saying that I'm too short to try and reach 200 pounds.

Thank you

200 would be a very good weight to start

Wow, 200lbs at 5'8" seams kinda heavy.

Im 5'8" and currently 180lbs. If i got up to 200lbs I would be a fat ass. The heaviest I ever weighed was 187 and I was about 21% body fat. Currently I'm about 17-18%.

Well. Done.

If i got up to 200lbs I would be a fat ass
    Correction, if you gained 20lbs and most of it was fat you'd be a fat ass.

What's the best way to stay in the 170's without adding or dropping a lot of weight?

Quote Originally Posted by shaneawi View Post
    What's the best way to stay in the 170's without adding or dropping a lot of weight?
    Eat only enough to maintain your weight, but no more than that. You won't get much stronger though.

Quote Originally Posted by sniperfrog View Post
    Wow, 200lbs at 5'8" seams kinda heavy.

Im 5'8" and currently 180lbs. If i got up to 200lbs I would be a fat ass. The heaviest I ever weighed was 187 and I was about 21% body fat. Currently I'm about 17-18%.
    No it doesn't, and fat, not weight, makes you a fat ass.

Not trying to play the devil's advocate here, but what I think sniperfrog was referring to is that in his past experience (and mine actually), it seems that after a certain point of weight gain, there seems to be a deterioration of the p-ratio (muscle to fat gain). My experience during SS was that after the first 20 lbs of bw gain, the next 25 lbs were very suboptimal (I'm also very tall @5'7''). Now I admit that I wasn't weighting my food (like I do now), but still there seem to be some changes in the body and the hormonal profile that create this problem.

@PEBCAK Fat will not make you a fat ass. Too many calories over your muscle building needs will get you fat.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasfromSparta View Post
    Not trying to play the devil's advocate here, but what I think sniperfrog was referring to is that in his past experience (and mine actually), it seems that after a certain point of weight gain, there seems to be a deterioration of the p-ratio (muscle to fat gain). My experience during SS was that after the first 20 lbs of bw gain, the next 25 lbs were very suboptimal (I'm also very tall @5'7''). Now I admit that I wasn't weighting my food (like I do now), but still there seem to be some changes in the body and the hormonal profile that create this problem.

@PEBCAK Fat will not make you a fat ass. Too many calories over your muscle building needs will get you fat.
    I think PEBCAK was insinuating "body fat" not the macro nutrient fat.

In any case, I think there is a certain maximal rate of weight gain for optimal body composition and when people start to creep above that their body comp deteriorates. This isn't a huge issue, unless the person has psychological gremlins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast