starting strength gym

Thread: Diet Programming critique

Default Diet Programming critique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    224.6 as of this morning
    26.7 bf which I disagree with on my electric scale.
    6'2"

May 18:
    405 sq
    518.5 dead
    336 bench

Right after those numbers I ran a few weeks of a 20r squat program and jacked my back up. I'm currently running the novice program(mwf) and am to a 305 squat as of yesterday.
    I'm finding that I'm super tired lately, and have trouble getting moving in the morning and having generally flat workouts.

My diet is a little off this week, but I was consistently:
    1 pot(8 cups) coffee per day

1/4 cup uncle sams cereal, 4 oz milk
    4-6 eggs plus some cheese

11am:
    8oz poultry or 6 oz beef
    12:30pm
    bowl of spinach or broccoli or some kind of veggies with some salad dressing

2pm(or i switch this around to be post workout depending on gym time)
    8oz milk, couple tablespoons of peanut butter, dark cocoa powder and a frozen banana)

6pm: meat and veggies for dinner

I add in some trail mix also if i need to sate my appetite.
    t/th/sat/sunday i try to cycle, and if i'm cycling i have a carb shot before i ride and then every 30 minutes during my ride. t/th rides are 10-20 miles, typically on the lower range, sat/sunday are longer, 20-30 mile rides.

Looking at this I think I probably need some extra carbs, though my weight lately, even with the biking has stayed around the 223 mark. In May i was 228 and back in feb i clocked in 238.

Thanks!

You're low in protein and carbs and your meal timing is sub optimal. Start here.

Looks like case 3 is where I should start and fiddle with.

Something closer to this then?
    6am: 6 XL eggs (6 whole), + chedder cheese cooked in 1 tbsp. of coconut oil, 300g strawberries, 12oz water
    11am: 2 scoops whey, 8oz milk, peanut butter, banana
    1pm: 8oz chicken breast, 2 servings brocoli
    4pm: 9oz lean beef, 2.5 cups (cooked measure) brown rice(sweet potatoes), salad
    Before Bed Snack: 2 scoops whey, 4 tbsp. peanut butter

On the whey, would you use milk or no? I figure either pre-post workout milk for insulin spike, and when not working out, no milk. Also, when biking would you say the sugar shots are ok, like Gu, or cliff etc or should i just try to increase carbs the morning of a ride days?

My workouts vary, sometimes i get to the gym by 7,730 am, other times during the day around noon, and if all else fails, I get there at 4pm.

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Something closer to this then?
    6am: 6 XL eggs (6 whole), + chedder cheese cooked in 1 tbsp. of coconut oil, 300g strawberries, 12oz water
    11am: 2 scoops whey, 8oz milk, peanut butter, banana
    1pm: 8oz chicken breast, 2 servings brocoli
    4pm: 9oz lean beef, 2.5 cups (cooked measure) brown rice(sweet potatoes), salad
    Before Bed Snack: 2 scoops whey, 4 tbsp. peanut butter
    This looks fine.

On the whey, would you use milk or no? I figure either pre-post workout milk for insulin spike, and when not working out, no milk.
    If it helps you hit your macros better, sure. You don't need an insulin spike PWO and if you do happen to have one, bad things won't happen either.

Also, when biking would you say the sugar shots are ok, like Gu, or cliff etc or should i just try to increase carbs the morning of a ride days?
    Depends how long the ride is. I'd rather have some amino acids + carbs during a really long effort.

I'm trying to avoid anything more than 20 miles mid week. Weekends I'll go a little longer, but under 40m. There is one ride that is quite hilly at 35m that crushes me every time I do it, and even that is only about 3 hours tops.

For Amino Acids and carbs, something like a 4:1 split? I've found OJ and whey makes a pretty awesome mix.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    I'm trying to avoid anything more than 20 miles mid week. Weekends I'll go a little longer, but under 40m. There is one ride that is quite hilly at 35m that crushes me every time I do it, and even that is only about 3 hours tops.

For Amino Acids and carbs, something like a 4:1 split? I've found OJ and whey makes a pretty awesome mix.
    You'll have to play around with the ratio to see what you like best, but yea 2:1> 4:1 carbs: protein is a good starting point.