starting strength gym

Thread: Finally getting fat - Reset Advanced Novice or Move on

Default Finally getting fat - Reset Advanced Novice or Move on

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan -

I'm finally pushing through my bodyweight plateau of 160ish pounds. Decided to temporarily relax some of my food standards (lactopaleoish) and add enough starches and ice creams to get my swole on.

I'm also stalling on every lift in my novice programming. Already re-set the squat, so that's the only lift I'm getting my reps at right now.

Finally, to my question: Should I re-set everything and keep eating and try to move forward with advanced novice stuff while microloading everything, or would I do better moving on to Texas Method? (Your article on thefitcoach v-/blog brought this up, so I figured I'd ask your opinion specifically).

All weights and measures below stated in American:

Stats: 31/m/5'6.375"/165ish/breath smells like peanut butter
    Squat: Made it to 3 x 5 x 315, failed @ 320, reset to 285 a few weeks ago (just did 295)
    Deadlift: Failed to get 5 reps at 410 2x
    Press: Failed to get 3 x 5 @ 147.5 3x
    Bench: Failed to get 3 x 5 @ 212.5 1x
    Chin-ups: 3 x 3 x BW + 85 (on Andy B's suggestion for grapplers, I'm doing these first every workout)

As always, thanks for any help you can offer.

I'd do 1 week at 90% of your previous successful 3x5/1x5 weights and do that on a normal "novice" template. However instead of doing 3x5 you'll do 3 sets x 2 reps. The next week, start advanced novice template and go up from the previous week using 2.5/5lb jumps. Run that as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I'd do 1 week at 90% of your previous successful 3x5/1x5 weights and do that on a normal "novice" template. However instead of doing 3x5 you'll do 3 sets x 2 reps. The next week, start advanced novice template and go up from the previous week using 2.5/5lb jumps. Run that as long as possible.
    Thanks. What about after that? Next set of stalls after that triggers some intermediate programming?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    Thanks. What about after that? Next set of stalls after that triggers some intermediate programming?
    I cannot see the future from here, unfortunately.